PDA

View Full Version : Train Ride May 2nd ON former DT&I from St. Paris

Zach Marlow
03-04-2004, 12:07 AM
Just found out today that the Champaign County Preservation Alliance is having a train ride on May 2nd on the Indiana and Ohio(former DT&I mainline) from St.Paris Ohio north to the Quincy Highbridge built in 1893, then either on to Jackson Center(north) or Springfield(south), I am not sure if they are going to split the train and you can go either way or take a vote and keep the train together,(last year they had an engine at each end) the price is $15.00 the ride lasts 2 hours and trains depart at 10am, 1pm, and 4pm call 1-800-791-6010 for more information and for tickets

Zach Marlow
03-07-2004, 03:06 AM
The direction of travel after reaching the Quincy Trestle will be engineers choice here is a link to the website of the Champaign County Preservation Alliance http://www.ctcn.net/~ccpaohio/

S.C. Vermillion
03-07-2004, 03:15 PM
I am defiantly game for this!! I hope the ride goes to Jackson Center cause I live in Springfield. I know this boring town like the back of my head.

S.C. Vermillion
03-07-2004, 04:12 PM
Zach,
I noticed you live in Quincy, Ohio. One of my favorite places to railfan is Quincy. I park in the trucking companies lot at the Diamond crossing. When the trains are not moving I usually watch the local pizza delivery guy as that pizza place is busy. The rail-street bridge just east of town on the Indy sub is a good photo spot. The curve at DeGraff is a killer spot also.
I just wish CSX would run as many trains as Conrail did.

Zach Marlow
03-13-2004, 03:01 PM
I checked on tickets yesterday At St.Paris Hardware, they were to go on sale on Monday March 15, the lady I talked to said that they have been selling them for awhile, as of Thursday night they only had 3 tickets for the 1pm train, she said that they were going quick so If you want to get tickets get them now, they will hold the tickets for a few days for you if you call them, I have to go get mine in a few minutes, I am not sure if any of the banks that are selling them would have any 1pm tickets left or not but either way better get your tickets now!!! :)

Zach Marlow
03-18-2004, 09:08 PM
Just found out today ALL TICKETS AT ST PARIS HARDWARE ARE GONE!!, not sure if there are any left at the other locations that are selling them but I would say very few are left out there

Zach Marlow
04-17-2004, 03:43 AM
I will be on the 10am train, I will hopefully be by or below the Quincy Trestle for the other 2 trains hopefully they will have some decent looking power on point

Zach Marlow
04-28-2004, 02:50 AM
I am pretty sure that the power for this train will be a gp30 and an ex amtrak f-40 hopefully they will look decent

S.C. Vermillion
04-29-2004, 03:01 AM
I will not be riding, but however will be there to photograph it. Believe it or not, I have been to Quincy a couple hundred times and have never seen High Bridge in person. Sunday will be my first time to see the structure and I will photograph it. After photographing it I will probly hang around Quincy for the rest of the day.

Zach Marlow
04-30-2004, 02:05 AM
I will be in Quincy after I get off the 10am train, I am going to check with the guy that runs the airport(grass strip) and get permission to park on his property to get to the bridge, instead of parking in the quincy castings parking lot, hope to see you there

Lord Vader
05-01-2004, 02:48 AM
In a pinch, the river is not too deep. I've had to take the plunge, so to speak, more than once. It's rock bottom between 2 and 4 feet deep by the trestle.

S.C. Vermillion
05-03-2004, 03:41 AM
That is a big bridge. Definatly one bridge you would'nt want to walk across. The trees need to be cut or removed for better viewing.