PDA

View Full Version : Educate me on BNSF's Birmingham Sub.

General Public
03-15-2004, 05:19 PM
I think I am getting a job with BNSF out of Birmingham, AL to Amory, MS. I don't know much about the territory or really anything about the line. What sort of traffic does it handle? What is the terrain like? And, what other information should I know about it?

I live close to the NS main between Atlanta and Chattanooga (Varnell, GA to be exact) so if you're familiar with that line, you can use it for comparison purposes.

I know my question may seem vague, but it's open-ended anyway. Anything you can divulge is appreciated. Also, if anyone could link me to a map of the sub, I would like that too. I tried to view the pdf at bnsf.com, but it simply doesn't load (dial up is the sux).

frankg290
03-22-2004, 03:16 PM
Well, General Public, if you live that close to it, drive over to B'ham and follow the tracks north on US 78. :wink:

The Birmingham Sub is nothing like the NS Atlanta North District. The south end is hilly and the north end is relatively flat. A lot fewer trains and the traffic is mixed: coal, intermodal, mixed freight.

And, I thought the crew district ran all the way to Memphis, correct?

Frank Greene
Memphis, TN