PDA

View Full Version : Niles Canyon

aprobb
03-18-2004, 01:40 AM
i wanted to go to Niles Canyon but I don't know how to get there and where the best spots are. Can someone give me a map or some advice

J
03-19-2004, 11:41 PM
Niles canyon is in the SF Bay area between Livermore and Tracy. You can ride Altamont Express or drive there by taking I-205 west out of Tracy or I-580 east out of Livermore. Take Old Altamont Pass road and you can follow the UP (former WP) and see the abandoned SP routes though the pass. While there, you can also see quite a few wind turbines dotting the hills. Go to Yahoo maps and type in "Tracy, CA" and surf around.

Silagi
04-15-2004, 01:27 PM
Niles Canyon is located just east of Fremont. SR84 runs through Niles Canyon. Photography in the canyon is difficult due to the shadows and heavy foilage. Also along Niles Canyon Rd, most of it is posted as "No Stopping or Parking". My favorite 2 spots are on the 2 ends of the canyon.

This shot is at the crossing at Clarke Dr in Fremont
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=52346

And this shot is on the eastern side of the canyon along Pleasanton Sunol Rd at Hearst.
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=52298

J
04-15-2004, 05:26 PM
In response to my earlier post I'd like to apologize and point out that my directions ("Between Livermore and Tracy" etc.) actually pertain to Altamont Pass.

This is another senic location perhaps 30-40 minutes east of Niles Canyon. As with Niles, both Western Pacific and Southern Pacific used to operate through the area. WP became UP and the SP route was abandoned 20+ years ago.

Tåg
04-16-2004, 08:08 PM
In response to my earlier post I'd like to apologize and point out that my directions ("Between Livermore and Tracy" etc.) actually pertain to Altamont Pass.

Yea, I thought that was a little strange :lol:

Im thinking about heading overthere this afternoon.

J
04-16-2004, 09:47 PM
Well, I got it right eventually.

An retired SP fireman told me it once took him 16 hours to get from Tracy to Altamont at the height of WWII. 12 years ago I was walking along the abandoned SP line and was interested to see that someone had drilled a deep core sample in one of the fills. Who knows, maybe UP was considering using the SP route - after all, it crosses at a slightly lower elevation than the WP route and has fewer bridges.