PDA

View Full Version : Locomotive failures

Joe
03-18-2004, 10:13 PM
When a failure on the locomotives of say, an Amtrak train, occurs, and some UP engines come in to help it, what happens? Does the Amtrak crew drive, a UP crew, does someone from UP moniter the Amtrak crew, or does it depend on certain circumstances? If anyone knows, please help me out! Thanks!

Guilford350
03-19-2004, 01:55 PM
I think what happens is the Amtrak crew stays in their locomotives and the UP crew takes control. I'm not possitive about that but its a guess.

Chris Starnes
03-19-2004, 03:34 PM
First of all I should point out you don't drive a train :wink: (you "run" one)

The Amtrak crew will remain as the primary crew. While in some cases a RFE (road foreman of engines) from the host railroad (in this case UP) may ride on the head end, the Amtrak engineer and crew will remain as the main crew.

There is no reason to have a crew from UP run the train as the P42s (and other AMTK engines) are basically freight engines just in a full cowl body. There is basically nothing different about how a passengar train would be ran (driven :lol: ) with a UP AC4400 as opposed to an Amtrak P42.

Guilford350
03-19-2004, 05:47 PM
The Amtrak crew will remain as the primary crew. While in some cases a RFE (road foreman of engines) from the host railroad (in this case UP) may ride on the head end, the Amtrak engineer and crew will remain as the main crew.

That makes sense since, afterall, it is Amtrak's train to begin with.

J
03-19-2004, 11:37 PM
The ATK crew indeed takes over the train. Back in the '80's I was dispatching a 9-car Sunset Limited with 2 P30CH's that stalled on the grade approaching West Palm Springs. A freight train ahead had reached Apex and so I had its three-unit helper head back down the hill to help ATK. The freight crew tied on the engines and then they sat back to enjoy the ride. I ran them right past West Colton in an effort to "make" the ATK incentive payment and their 12 hours expired somewhere near Pomona. After I got off duty at 730 I headed over to LAUPT to watch 5 units (2 dead) bring in their 9-car train. The helper crew wasn't too worried - after all they got in close to 100 miles in the round trip dead head. As I recall, we missed the incentive payment by a lousy 20 minutes.

Ween
03-20-2004, 03:42 AM
There is no reason to have a crew from UP run the train as the P42s (and other AMTK engines) are basically freight engines just in a full cowl body. There is basically nothing different about how a passengar train would be ran (driven ) with a UP AC4400 as opposed to an Amtrak P42.

It's too bad it's not the same with airplanes. I'd love to hop in someone else's G550 or Cessna Citation X if my plane breaks... :lol:

J
04-07-2004, 07:49 PM
There are some differences. Passenger equipment regulary is equipped with "blended brakes." Here, when the engineer initiates an automatic brake reduction, the locomotive dynamic brakes automatically pick up.

Passenger equipment also has "graduated release." Here the engineer can partially release braking effort much as you might lighten pressure on your automobile's brake peddle when coming up to a stoplight. Conventional freight equipment is direct release - if you release just a little, you're likely to fully release the brakes. If you don't move the brake handle all the way to "release" you lose braking effort without at least recharging the brake line.

Switching back and forth between the two types of equipment can be a challange for the non-experienced.