PDA

View Full Version : What's your opinion?

ronik24
04-07-2004, 01:03 PM
Hi,

Your opinion is asked...

What do you think of these pics?

First one - on the Tranz Alpine, New Zealand, between Arthur's Pass and Christchurch:

http://raildata.info/zeug/aj0159.jpg

Taken on probably the most spectacular section of one of the Top 10 railway rides in the world, almost impossible to access by other means than by rail.
First reason it was rejected was due to "bad perspective", my reply was the question if pictures taken out of trains are principally rejected - if so that would be a slap in the face for every true railfan who supports the railways by using them and not just chasing them by car.
As a reply I got the answer, that the image was badly composed. First of all, what's to compose on an image taken from a moving train? Second, I think this image is quite nicely composed with the bridge, the lonely rock, the mountains in the background. Only a little annoying is the telegraph cable, but that's part of the railway and the perspective of it doesn't look that bad either.
This should definitely not be missed on railpictures!

Second one - ICE at Vienna Western station

http://raildata.info/zeug/P3270073.JPG

Rejection reason - both times exact same words - bad lighting. OK, the surroundings are dark - but that's not the point of the picture. The nose of the ICE, which takes the major part of the picture, is nicely lit by the sunset - in my opinion the best way to show the beauty of an ICE is the nose coming out of the dark. Certainly there are much darker pics on railpictures, this one also should be shown.

Last general point about the screening:

I certainly don't complain, about 3 out of 30 pictures I uploaded were rejected. But sometimes very interesting ones are rejected, while lots of boring ones are accepted.
The style of answering is also not very good - it's OK to write a short sentence why it wasn't accepted at first, but when someone sends an appeal in a private message with more than a sentence it would be just good behaviour to send greetings, give the message a private touch and write at least a sentence if not more (sometimes not even that happened). Some things may be auto generated, but it's just good sense to treat the uploaders nicely - the database relies on them to contribute. Being overworked is no excuse - I probably look at more railway pictures a day than most screeners here do, and that's just for fun :D

Curtis Wininger
04-07-2004, 03:17 PM
I didn't screen either of these photos, so I'll give my opinion.

In the first one, there are two problems that stick out at me quickly:

The first is easily correctable with editing software. The horizon is unlevel. I know it is hard to take a perfectly level picture while holding your arm out the window, but it is still unlevel. The situtation usually doesn't count for much unless it's something spectacular that has hardly or never been seen before. A shot of a train from a passenger car isn't an opportunity that you seldomly get.

The second is not correctable. There is not a clear shot of the train. The power poles and lines running between the camera and the train distract from the subject quite a bit.

Also, not a huge problem, but I should add that the lighting isn't great.

I think the only issue with the second one is that it is a poorly lit roster shot. It's definitely not what you would call a "sunset shot." It doesn't have the warm, long light from a sunset. It's just dark. Maybe it was taken a few minutes too late.

That's all I have to say about them. Maybe some other viewers or screeners will give their opinions.

Chris Starnes
04-07-2004, 06:21 PM
Well after reading this post this morning, I had planned to reply after lunch when I got back to the computer....Curtis beat me to it, however. I have no more to add to what he said, he covered the points that I would have made very well.

CTS

E.M. Bell
04-07-2004, 11:59 PM
Il also have to say that curtis covered it pretty well,, saying the same things I would have..