PDA

View Full Version : Exposure compensation?

S.C. Vermillion
04-11-2004, 10:51 PM
I just got a Kodak DX6490 camera. I want to get the most out my camera. I need to know how to use the exposure compensation for best results. I have noticed that all my pictures that I have taken so far have a 0 Exposure bias value, even on Fully automatic mode. So could someone please explain how to use it for best results. Should I use it or not!

Curtis Wininger
04-11-2004, 11:33 PM
It's good to use when there is a difference in the amount of light on your subject and the surroundings. If you meter off the part of the photo you want to be perfectly exposed, there isn't much need for it unless you're not satisfied with the way the metering is going.. When you're in low light, you can milk a little more shutter speed to prevent blur if you know you will be able to correct the underexposure from compensation digitally.

When I'm taking indoor snapshots, I set the camera to its biggest aperture value on AV and then knock down the compensation a little to shorten the shutter time.

Does the camera have a full manual mode? A good thing about digital cameras is that you can put them on full manual, snap one, see what the picture looks like and adjust further. When the train comes along, you already have a set aperture and shutter speed that won't change by metering off lights or something like that. That's probably best when you have time to set up before a shot.

S.C. Vermillion
04-12-2004, 04:12 AM
Yes my camera has a full manual mode. Thanks for the information. Is there anything else that I need to know about learning how to shoot my camera in full automatic mode?

Curtis Wininger
04-12-2004, 07:45 PM
Be careful with it because it can easily change on you at the last second and ruin your shot. It's probably a good idea to use full manual with experimentation any time the spare time beforehand to get everything set. You should be able to look at your compensation dial even on full manual to get an idea of what the camera thinks you should do.