PDA

View Full Version : 'Too dark' rejections

egll
04-13-2004, 11:50 PM
Just got some rejections (and some accepted :) ) that I would like some further information on.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=5122

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=5120

One is a 20 year scanned print and the other is from a Canon D30, both were rejected for being too dark and both had already been rejected once but I had gone back to Photoshop and played with the levels to add some light. I screen the odd picture now and then for JetPhotos and edit my pictures to the same standard regardless whether they are for JetPhotos or RailPictures and these would not be too dark for JP-but I know that RP has different standards to JP in some respects and maybe this is another one. I also have a large number of old pictures that I would like to upload but I don't want to do so until I have this issue cleared up as almost all my rejections recently have been for 'too dark'. What can I do make these images acceptable? And if they are beyond salvaging what would have been required to make them acceptable?

Hopefully some advice from other forum members will prevent me making similar mistakes with the other shots I would like to upload.

Matt

Chris Starnes
04-14-2004, 12:38 AM
Matt,

Please don't hesitate to use the appeal function where you can get a little better of an explanation of these images. Both of these are not under "great" lighting but I personally find them to be acceptable. As a general rule of thumb, if there is a decent amount of detail visible on the trucks of the locomotive (or the lower part in general), the photo stands a good chance of being accepted.

I will throw out a disclaimer that I know very little about the trains you shoot and really couldn't tell something that is very rare from the normal, everyday train. If you have a shot of something that is considered rare please include that in your remarks so we (and the viewers) will know that. As you know from JP, special consideration is given to rare or unusual subjects.

Hope that clears things up and feel free to appeal those for a better explanation of the rejection.

Chris

egll
04-14-2004, 09:07 AM
Thanks for the reply Chris, I'll appeal them msot likely :)

I suspect that my knowledge of American trains is no better than your knowledge of UK trains-there isn't really much that can be done about that unfortunately (at least until RP becomes more well known in Europe).

Matt