PDA

View Full Version : Venting

Peter
04-20-2004, 01:42 AM
Venting can be a good thing, if nothing else, it can make you feel better. My last 2 uploads have both been rejected. One was rejected for being a bad angle and the second one for poor lighting (too dark).

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=6660

This photo was the bad angle rejection. The engine is not off left or right, it is also not off in an up or down direction. When I appealed the rejection, it came back rejection stands, bad composition. I don't know what bad composition means. This is the first time, that I have seen that one. There is room to the right of the engine, but many pictures have been accepted where the engine is not centered in the picture. The second mainline track is to the right of the engine.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=6663

This photo was rejected for poor lighting (too dark). I also appealed this picture since details in the engine are clear. It came back rejection stands, but this one did not have any admin comments.

Part of RailPictures mission statement reads, we have not set standards which cannot be met by anyone other than the professional photographer. If you feel that your photo would be enjoyable to other rail enthusiasts, upload it! It's very likely to be accepted!

I don't know if I agree with that mission statement anymore. I consider myself an average photographer, and I can handle pictures being rejected. When I look at some of my rejected pictures, and then compare them to many accepted pictures, I don't know what to think!

If you agree, thanks. If you do not agree I apologize for wasting your time.

Curtis Wininger
04-20-2004, 02:06 AM
By replying, I don't mean to be jumping in and saying that this is the final word. I'm just giving my opinion and encourage others to do so too.

Overall, try to stand with the sun to your back.

The first one would have likely been accepted if you were on the other side of the tracks. This way, the sun would light the side of the engines instead of create a shadow on it. It looks like the train is on a curve to the right. Go forward, around the curve a little more so the light gets a better angle on the subject as I can see it may be hard to get to the other side of the tracks here. Maybe even try to find a different location where the lighting is better. As in the previous posts, it's basically a standard 3/4 wedge roster shot.

The second one isn't as noticably backlit becuase the overall light is pretty dim. It looks like a cloud went over right as the train came to you. The nose is just a tad blurry and it could use a tighter crop. Again, still basically a 3/4 roster shot.

Angle doesn't have anything to do with the positioning of the locomotive on the frame. That would be cropping. Angle is the point at which your camera is facing the subject, the angle you are turned toward the train.

As for appeals, I think there were nearly 100 of them in que last night. That's probably why they were a little less detailed than normal.

I hope this helps.

BRW
04-24-2004, 09:43 AM
am 0 for 7 and getting a tad discouraged.

A few for backlighting, which is reasonable. Well lit trucks look really sharp.

2 others for foreground clutter, although I didn't see any clutter.

And three more because "Photo does not meet minimum pixel requirements"
Which I guess means the pictures aren't big enough. Although maybe it means something about resolution.
I see comments about adding more background about other people who have had rejected pictures. I would disagree about that as I want more trains than trees and after seeing the editor picks I don't seem to be on the same page as the editors.

I'll give it a few more tries. I do like the pictures I see on this site and would like to see some of mine here. But I must balance what I like vs what the editors like.

This one suffers from foreground clutter.
http://fototime.com/CDE7327FB5B0CF4/orig.jpg
Better lighting would help I admit.

Ween
04-25-2004, 12:04 AM
BRW,

It is a tad discouraging when you first start out, but with pratice, you will get better and a higher percentage of your shots will get accepted. This happens for 2 reasons. 1) Like anything else, the more you practice at something, the better the results. 2) You'll learn what will most likely get accepted and what won't on RP. Once you get the hang of number 2, you won't spend time editing a shot and getting discouraged when it doesn't get accepted. You'll know what is acceptable and what is not. That saves you time and it saves the screener's / appealer's time.

I started out just like you, but give it time; you'll be fine! If I can get photos accepted on here with a Nikon CoolPix 2100 (2.0 megapixels), anything is possible!

Anonymous
04-26-2004, 12:05 PM
It would also be nice if the screeners would use plain english... I'm not a photo student and don't have a clue what they talk about at times.

Curtis Wininger
04-26-2004, 02:50 PM
Try to read and follow the submission guidelines posted on the upload page.

Roster shots should be very good quality to be accepted. Among other genral qualities, they should have no foreground clutter, be properly lit, and properly exposed. The one above has two pipes between the camera and the subject, it is backlit, and the side of the loco is overexposed.

Pixels are the tiny individual dots that make up a picture on your computer screen. Landscapes have to be at least 800 pixels wide and 500 pixels tall, as stated on the guidelines page. You can right click the picture and go to properties where it will tell you how many pixels it is. The photo above is 665 x 445. That doesn't meet either of the requirements. You also seem to have had some dust on your scanner or negatives. Clean those with an airduster. That's another set in stone rejection reason.

Try to get a feel for what is being accepted to the site. Our acceptance rate is around 50%. New uploaders naturally will be far below that. Try to upload the best quality shots you can manage.

busyEMT
04-27-2004, 10:34 PM
I am sure we all complain, and at times, hold resentment towards the screeners when our ametuer photos are rejected; even to this day, I still have a photo rejected, only to see one just as dark accepted. I notice dusty photos, dark-nosed lead units, glowing white skies illuminate my computer screen, and I think how were these ever accepted. I occasionally appeal a rejection, usually to no avail (I will even link a similar photo in my appeal for comparing).

I took some advice from one of the screeners in a past forum: I now take photos to please my own interest. I then pick the best ones for submission. Since November of last year, I have taken over a thousand railroad photos in my digital camera; I am now at 246 in the database. Not only has my photography become better, but I submit photos that have a better chance of being added to the database.

For my birthday I started receiving Trains magazine. Pouring over the 58,000 photographs on RP.net, I began comparing these photos with some of those in Trains. I was surprised at the quality of pictures in Trains... backlit and poor lighting rejections would be filling the publisher's email. So, have a picture you want the world to see, but RP.net screeners said "not in my database." Send it to a railroad publications. The high standard, even for ametuers, brings everyone's quality up.

Kudos to RP.net to sift through crap, gems, and everything in-between.