PDA

View Full Version : Grain, Scanning and Fuji Film looking for answers please

Bob Pickering
05-06-2004, 11:03 PM
Greetings ladies and gents.

I have been pulling my hair out trying to sort out this wicked bad grain I have been getting in the sky on some of my shots. You only see it when I scan (scanning 300 DPI and using Fuji 100 film)

I then looked at a number of photos and scans I did with Kodak 100 sped film and the scan quality seemed so much better.

I get my film developed at Winn Dixie so I do not know if that matters or not.

Anyway I think my problem is the Fuji does not tend to scan as well does Kodak and I thought I read somewhere that Kodak film is better in general for scanning.

I shoot most of my stuff with my Nikon FE 10

Is this a possible theory? Does anyone else have this same experiance? Any recomendations?

Thanks

Bob and Janice

Curtis Wininger
05-07-2004, 02:01 AM
Fuji makes some really nice slide film. If there's no grain in your slide but there is in your scan, chances are the problem is occuring somewhere in the conversion from slide to the digital picture.

Maybe your scanner doesn't scan slides as well as it scans prints or negatives. Are you using different scanners, one for prints and one for slides?

Winn Dixie probably isn't the best place to get film developed. But that's not the problem if there's no grain in your hard copy.

Ken Carr
05-07-2004, 06:06 AM
When using my Rebel TI I now and have for some time use Fuji Film normally 100 ASA or Fuji 200 ASA. Previously I used Kodak film normally 200 ASA since 100 was hard to find in the qualities I needed. I found that I had the reverse Kodak had a lot of grain some times in Kodak more expensive versions, while with Fuji that has been minimal.
With Fuji film my rejection for grain has been non existance. I also pay attention to who develops my film. If I had the time and better equipment I do it my self. But my professional developer takes good care of his equipment and charge a reasonable amount for developing. I would not take it to Win Dixie or Walmart for my developing needs. I believe you get what you pay for.....THat's two cents.....

Bob Pickering
05-09-2004, 01:25 AM
OK that is interesting. I will have to compare more and see what is up. I may look at a different developer though I never had a problem before with Winn Dixie

Thanks again

Bob