PDA

View Full Version : Trying to sort out what is up

Bob Pickering
05-10-2004, 10:59 PM
First again Thank You for those who responded earlier
I am trying sort out the mystery of this grain that has appeared in my photos this past year. Looking at some of my photos you can see what I mean.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=47570

That is a link to one of my photos. Look above the locomotive in the sky and you will see what I mean.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=46149

This one look along the edge of the locomotive.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=43986

This one not as bad but look where the trees meet the sky

The only thing that they all have in common is that it was Fuji 100 sped
film, my Nikon FE 10 (grey market camera) and Winn Dixie developing.

http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=592
That is the rest of my photos on line you can see the good ones. Almost
everything on there is Winn Dixie developing though one is Eckerd. Anything shot before 3/2000 was with my Nikon FG20 and Kodak 100 speed film.

I just think my quality has gone down and I am trying to figure out why..

Any ideas and suggetsions will be appreciated!. I am debating if I will take my Nikon FE 10 or Nikon N55.

Thanks!

Bob

Curtis Wininger
05-10-2004, 11:28 PM
It looks like your scanner isn't handling color transitions very well, as most of the grain is gathered around and the same color as other objects. Try to scan the same slide on a different scanner. Scan different slides on the same scanner. That's a sure way of finding the problem.

Bob Pickering
05-10-2004, 11:48 PM
I may try that I did neglet to note that I am scanning prints.

I am using a Lexmark scanner that came with my machine...

Bob

Curtis Wininger
05-11-2004, 12:08 AM
If that grain isn't showing up on your prints, the problem has to be the scanner.

Bob Pickering
05-11-2004, 12:31 AM
OK Very good Thank you again for the response (so fast!) I have scanned a number of photos of mine re scanning them. The older ones (with Kodak film) do not to be as bad as the ones I shot with Fuji.

I wonder if my scanner is sensitive to the colors that Fuji uses vs Kodak.

I have access to another scanner at work I may try the same photo there as you suggest and see what kind of reaction I get.

Further can you or anyone recomend a good quality scanner this is a scanner / printer lexmark trio.

I hope I am not a pest I am trying to improve our work.

I am scanning at 300 DPI.

Thanks!

Bob

E.M. Bell
05-11-2004, 03:52 AM
I have a Lexmark X73 printer/scanner and have had no trouble with it...and a great majority of my 1400+ shots that are on RP where scanned with it. Try scanning at a higher res...I use at least 800 DPI for most material, and even higher for older stuff. the higher res will give you a much larger image to work with in photoshop (or what ever you use) and will help to "cancel out" a lot of the grain and noise on the image once you size and compress it.

Bob Pickering
05-11-2004, 04:08 AM
I may give that a shot.....

Thanks and 73's

KB4RSY

PS I Love Kentucky as I am sure you saw with some of my pics :-)

BartY
05-12-2004, 11:14 PM
You should definately be scanning at the highest resolution available if you are scanning slides. Unlike printed material, film can yield detail far beyond 300 dpi. A good many dedicated film/slide scanners start at around 2700 dpi, and a few go as high as 5000 dpi! Remember that a frame of film is 1.4 in x .944 in. Scanning at 300 dpi, you'll get an image that is 420x282 pixels in size. In order to meet the requirements of this site, you have to more than double the size of the picture, which of course will amplify the grain in the film, but also will increase the size of each pixel (as scanned) to double its origional size. As I'm sure anyone can attest to, if you start enlarging any image that has been digitized in any manner beyond a certain point, it starts getting blocky.

Also, most flatbeds lack the dynamic range to faithfully reproduce color from negative or positive film. Usually shadows will be muddy and not as dark as they should be, and brighter areas may get clipped. And as these pictures show, transitions between colors may not be as smooth as you'd like, and may lead to the "blockiness" you see here.

To my knowledge, Fuji Sensia, Provia and Velvia have some of the finest grain of any slide film available. In fact, I think Provia is the finest grained color reversal film available on the market today.

Bart