PDA

View Full Version : Fairly New To RR Photography-need advice

tjelmel
05-12-2004, 05:04 AM
Hello, I have gotten into railroad photography within the last year or so. I have a few pictures on here and am in the midst of a trip that I hope will produce some more. The following picture was rejected for being underexposed. Since I don't have a background in photography, what technically does this mean and how can I prevent it in the future? Is this something that can be fixed with photo editing software? Thanks for any and all advice.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=13132

Curtis Wininger
05-12-2004, 12:37 PM
Underexposed means the shutter that exposes light to the film didn't stay open long enough. In turn, there isn't enough light striking the film which pretty much means it's going to be too dark. The film is 'underexposed' to light. The same goes for digital cameras too, just replace film with image sensor.

You can see the mountains in the background are a little dark. This is a nice setup. Some of the problem could probably be fixed with photo editing software but it won't replace good, old fashioned sunlight.

I don't know what kind of camera you are using. If you are really interested in photography, you're best friend will be an SLR camera. That will allow you to play around and learn more than a point and shoot, auto everything, just press the button and it may turn out ok camera. Read about photography on the Interent and try what you have read. I usually suggest the National Geographic Field Guide series. These books are pretty inexpensive and have helped me a lot in the past. I own two of them. They are around $20 new on Amazon.

tjelmel
05-12-2004, 03:05 PM
Thanks for the info. I'll try to lighten it up a bit w/the computer. I have started with a Kodak digital camera and it is great, especially to take on trips so I can take lots of pictures for little $$ and wait until I get home to decide which are good enough to keep. I can already see, however, than a more advanced camera would allow for more user input in taking pictures, but I think I better wait to make that investment until I have some more experience.

Joe
05-12-2004, 08:30 PM
I see you got that photo accepted! :lol:

BartY
05-12-2004, 10:27 PM
FWIW, most images captured by digital cameras take a little manipulation before they are presentable. Like slide film, digital sensors don't like over-exposure, so some manufacturers deliberately put a little under-exposure in the exposure program of the camera, leaving you to bump it back up in a photo editing program.

Bart