PDA

View Full Version : Question about being too dark

arkansasrailroader
05-16-2004, 07:34 PM
This photo was rejected for being too dark. It's a SUNSET photo and of course it's dark. If I had lightened it up to see the trains, the sky would be washed out. I placed it in the 'night/sunset/sunrise' photo section. I can maybe see rejection because of other things, like cropping, etc, but not being too dark. Any opinions?

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=14170

Ken Z

psa188
05-16-2004, 08:21 PM
I won't try to second-guess the screeners, but if you think the photo should have been accepted you can always appeal.

boxtop
05-18-2004, 12:14 AM
I always second guess the screeners :) I try my hardest to stray away from the "wedge shot" and try new, bold angles, but most don't make it to the database - they're rejected with the same vague reasons you're now familiar with.

But, in this image, I think the real issue is the subject, or lack thereof. You've clearly documented the rolling stock to the right of the frame, but the engine is so far away that all we're left with are headlights.

I would have waited till the engine got closer, then possibly popped off a little fill flash, if you're so equipped, to bring out some of the details of the unit while keeping the nice sky.

And, FYI, you can brighten up the foreground without affecting the sky using Photoshop. Email me off-board if you need some help with techniques.

arkansasrailroader
05-18-2004, 04:36 AM
Thanks for the advice. After my appeal, they gave me the same reasoning, which I fully agree with. Why couldn't they have explained this in the first rejection? But I guess they have so many photos sent to them that they only have time to give a fuller explanation in the appeal process.

Ken Z