PDA

View Full Version : Slide scanning at Walmart

davidray
05-17-2004, 04:14 AM
I wasn't happy with the slide scanning of my low cost Canon flatbed and went looking elsewhere. I located several possibilities online that involved sending the slides off for processing. Then at Walmart dropping off a roll of print film and asking about slide processing led me to their slide scanning service. They'll scan slides to cd for 29 cents each. Which was cheaper than what I had found online. So the only question left was quality. What do you get for 29 cents?

I dropped off 20 slides as a test and was pleasantly surprised. It may not be as good as I'd get by spending more, but for the price I'm pleased.

Here's a sample. Taken May 21, 1994 when I had a chance to tour Tehachapi. This is a wide angle shot of a SP freight around the loop.
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=26876
(I haven't gotten an example accepted here yet :wink: )

The only change to the original jpeg was resizing to 1024x692. The original jpeg was 1818x1228 and a 2 mb file.

Opinions? How do you think this measures up as a scanned slide?

David Ray
Cumming, GA

Chris Starnes
05-17-2004, 05:05 AM
David,

Do you know what kind of scanner they were using? If we had some specs on it we probably tell if it is really a deal or not.

CTS

davidray
05-17-2004, 03:12 PM
I asked the technician what he would be using and he pointed to his large Fuji machine. I didn't really expect them to know more. When I asked about resolution scanned he couldn't tell me. I didn't press the matter. :)

Thanks for the help though. I appreciate the effort.

David Ray
Cumming, GA

willie6622
05-17-2004, 10:23 PM
I just took 3 slides in to be scanned, and the lady grabs one of them on the actual slide by her fingers before she put it in envelope. I'm sure I have a nice set of her fingerprints on there now! I'm glad they were not some of my better slides.

davidray
05-18-2004, 04:37 AM
I was worried what kind of treatment my slides would receive as well. I took in a stack of 20 that I wrapped with a couple of business cards and a rubber band. Whoever scanned the slides took the time to repackage the slides before returning to the envelope. I was impressed with that.

David Ray
Cumming, GA

davidray
06-24-2004, 04:08 PM
Latest update from Walmart. New software has been installed for the Fuji machine. My latest slide scans showed up at 800K size instead of the previous 3.2M. No answers from the friendly photo technicians.

So I've just ordered a Minolta Dimage IV film scanner from Ebay.

Film at 11.

David Ray
Cumming, GA

RR-Watcher
03-14-2009, 01:41 AM
I hated the results I got from Walmart scanning and from CVS. I am based in Atlanta, GA and I finally used a slide scanning service called
http://www.discountdigitalart.com
They did a good job for me. Would definitely recommend them.

Ween
03-14-2009, 01:47 AM
Way to revive an almost 5 year old thread!

Walter S
03-14-2009, 01:50 AM
Way to revive an almost 5 year old thread!

I am sure scanner quality has probably improved since then haha. Well its Walmart so they are probably still using the same scanners.

Walter S
03-14-2009, 01:52 AM
Ohh, Scammer? This is the second post in which you have mentioned this company.

Joe the Photog
03-14-2009, 03:10 AM
Old thread or not, it does remind me that I have some slides that ned scanning. Not sure I will use the link, but maybe there are other places to find on the net.I actually did use Wal Mart a time orto and, well, they sucked.

Joe

Freericks
03-14-2009, 06:04 AM
Interesting that it is an a five year old thread... but you really have to be so careful of scanning services and so specific. Even my local camera store, which is so perfect in every other way, screwed me completely on scanning slides (and they did me totally right with 120 film).

The general public is so happy with too contrasty small scans (often with dust) that they just provide those to everyone - and they are worthless, flat, garbage.

dejv
03-14-2009, 11:52 AM
Old thread or not, it does remind me that I have some slides that ned scanning. Not sure I will use the link, but maybe there are other places to find on the net.I actually did use Wal Mart a time orto and, well, they sucked.

Joe

I'm shooting film now mostly because my digital camera was stolen last year and I realized there's one unused SLR at home. I was lucky that I found a good lab quickly. Now they use Noritsu QLS-3701 HD machine and offer scanning of whole film to 1.6 MP, 6.1 MP or 35 MP. I'm quite happy with results. The attachment is 100% crop of this photo:
[photoid=272574]
- a 35MP scan for price of 6.1 MP one. :) They got colors right in the lab, all I had to do was a small rotation, crop, lightening shadows and USM.

I used Fuji Reala here, so I expect you could get even more detail from good slide film.