PDA

View Full Version : Hobbyist Or Terrorist?

psa188
05-19-2004, 07:59 PM
The Time magazine article might be of interest:
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1101040524-638410,00.html

Ween
05-20-2004, 04:54 PM
Good to see railfans getting some exposure, but that Time article didn't do us many favors. After you read the article, railfans come across as:

1) Living with their mothers
2) Wearing Slayer T-shirts
3) Wearing thick-rimmed nerd glasses
4) Not being able to explain their hobby

Perhaps that guy they were following for the interview wasn't the best choice, but either way, that article did little to clear up the mystery for those who don't know the hobby...

rpalmer
05-20-2004, 06:25 PM
In case anyone is curious, the photographer (John) mentioned in the article is "oaksmodelrr" on this site.

E3429
05-21-2004, 05:34 AM
Wearing Slayer t-shirts? What terrorists are doing that? We were attacked by Al Qaieda, not the KISS Army. I'm guessing mohammed atta and his group of fellow morons were dressed nice when they boarded the planes they hijacked. I once saw a lecture by a former FBI agent who had a quote that went something along the lines of "The ones who are up to something these days aren't goig to look like Charlie Manson, they'll look like the star quarterback, the minister, or the guy down the street.."

Personally, I've only been approached by police once. Once they figured out what I was doing, they wished me luck and went about their business. On another occasion a couple of us were approached by a CSX train master who told us what was headed our way and that the CPLs north of us were due to come down soon.

Everyones exprience with this is going to be different. As long as you don't act like an ass with what ever official who wants to know what you're doing, you shouldn't have much problem. I don't really see how you're dressed has much to do with it.

Off that, does the number of 175,000 rail fans seem kind of low to anyone but me?

Ween
05-21-2004, 05:59 AM
does the number of 175,000 rail fans seem kind of low to anyone but me?

No, that seems high. My wife and I were talking about how many railfans are out there, and based on the number in the St. Louis-area, she figured there must be 500 or so nationwide!!! So you can imagine, 175K is rather high to some!

E3429
05-21-2004, 07:20 AM
According to the photo stats here there are 1210 contributors to this site. I may be wrong but still seems kind of low. Are you counting E. St. Louis? :twisted:

Ken Carr
05-21-2004, 05:24 PM
Do people really live in East St Louis?

Ween
05-22-2004, 03:17 AM
Do people really live in East St Louis?

Yes, and die (read: murdered)...

Anonymous
05-22-2004, 09:41 PM
Hey it ain't that bad, ba da bing, ba da boom. :lol:

Anonymous
05-22-2004, 09:43 PM
According to the photo stats here there are 1210 contributors to this site. I may be wrong but still seems kind of low. Are you counting E. St. Louis? :twisted:

That does not count the folk that have been rejected and stop submitting photos too does it?

dhuber
06-10-2004, 07:54 PM
does the number of 175,000 rail fans seem kind of low to anyone but me?

No, that seems high. My wife and I were talking about how many railfans are out there, and based on the number in the St. Louis-area, she figured there must be 500 or so nationwide!!! So you can imagine, 175K is rather high to some!

I would have to say that 175K is kind of low. There are a lot of people out there that are rail fans but don't take pictures. Most don't know that there are web sites devoted to this hobby. I sure didn't until a few months ago. :roll: :)