PDA

View Full Version : BNSF Line In New Mexico/Arizona

Trickholmes
06-09-2004, 11:46 PM
I'm from Southern California and the freights I see passing through Fullerton seem to almost always be truck trailers and double stacks. Last week though I Drove Between Grants, NM And Flagstaff, AZ, And it seemed like almost half the trains were Manifests. Maybe not half but it was unusually high it seemed. There was a train about every 20 miles heading west and the traffic on the route was unbelievable. But I'm curious to know about these manifests. Do more manifests run to and from Richmond Than Los Angeles ?? Also, say your in Kingman, AZ, what percentage of westbound freights are heading to Los Angeles, and what % to Richmond.

J
06-10-2004, 01:44 PM
Don't have traffic counts but remember that a major classification yard is between Fullerton and Arizona - namely Barstow. BNSF does not handle much carload traffic into Los Angeles anymore. Much of the industrial base has shifted eastward as well as northward into the San Joaquin Valley. The intermodal trains you're seeing are either via Hobart Yard or the LA/Long Beach harbor. Intermodal traffic is now the single largest revenue source for US roads recently surpassing coal but as you've seen there are plenty of carload shipments out there.