PDA

View Full Version : Cropping To Size

dns860
06-19-2004, 06:10 PM
Does anyone know a quick way to crop to a specific size using Photoshop 7.0 without altering the image's proportions?

I heard there is a way to crop to a specific size using options, but I can't even find the options dialogue for this manuever.

Thanks in advance!

Guilford350
06-19-2004, 08:34 PM
Go to 'Image' --> 'Resize' --> 'Image Size'. Make sure you have 'Constrain Proportions' checked. But that's for PS Elements 2.0, which I use, not PS 7.0; so it may be different.

E.M. Bell
06-19-2004, 11:13 PM
PS 7 is just about the same...once you have the raw image opened ion the canvas, go ahead and crop and level as needed, then from the toolbar on top , click "image" then "image size".... make sure the box is checked to keep the proportions right, set your res to 72, then choose your image size. I always set the width, and let the program set the hight.

dns860
06-20-2004, 01:25 AM
Thanks for your answers!

I have had several pics sent back b/c of a "bad crop" and I took this to mean the photo was not 1024 x 768.

Somebody told me there's a way to make a preset crop tool that will make a selection exactly whatver size specified in an options dialogue box.

I have been cropping my pics in the manner you desrcibed (IMAGE>IMAGE SIZE>etc.) and it seems once I drag a box open to what appears to be an approximately proper size, I can never get the end result to be perfectly 1024 x 768.

So I thought this custom preset crop tool method might be the best solution.

Also, is it better to open and image, duplicate it, apply curves and sharpness changes, etc. before or after cropping and resizing?

BTW, one thing I looked for but have yet to find is a Railpictures.net 'glossary' of rejection terms. I think such a document would be useful, if I didn't miss seeing it and there is no such thing yet. I really don't understand the term "bad motive" for example, and maybe "bad angle" isn't as straightforward as it might seem. I only began to understand "backlit" after reading some posts in this forum.

Did the submission guidelines include specific definitions for rejection terms? I may have missed it. You know, with my A.D.D. and all!

Thanks Again In Advance!

Dave
(4 Accepts/26 Rejects!) :)
Mt. Vernon, NY

busyEMT
06-25-2004, 02:13 AM
I prefer the Resize Wizard (I use PS6). Under Help> Resize Wizard. I like it because it opens the resized image in a new window, leaving the original untouched. It also allows you to choose Print or Online purposes. For print you can select the DPI. Is it in 7?