PDA

View Full Version : Handheld scanners

Ween
06-21-2004, 07:00 AM
I'm in the market for a handheld scanner and I'm just wondering what everybody here uses and what I need to look for. Any info/help is much appreciated. Thanks!

Ween
06-24-2004, 05:51 AM
No one uses a scanner while they're out?!? :shock:

E3429
06-24-2004, 06:46 AM
I got one at Radio Shack for like a hundred bucks that does ok. Programmable to 200 channels and it does ok. Not sure if they have one with less channels. I think it's a Pro-82 model or something like that.

AmtrakDiesels
06-24-2004, 07:03 AM
I got one at Radio Shack for like a hundred bucks that does ok. Programmable to 200 channels and it does ok. Not sure if they have one with less channels. I think it's a Pro-82 model or something like that.

Yes I have the same exact one, it does great for me. I bought it of ebay for 75 dollars. Mine is a Pro-82 Scanning Reciever its pretty much all black.

davidray
06-24-2004, 02:53 PM
I picked up an older Radio Shack from Ebay for less than $40 shipped. Works okay but not great. Now I'm looking at the Yaesu VX-150 handheld transciever. Supposed to be better all around.

David Ray
Cumming, GA

Guilford350
06-24-2004, 03:51 PM
I use the Radio Shack Pro-89. 200 channels of programable memory and comes with both a standard-length and stubby antenna. I got it for about $130 at my local Radio Shack.

busyEMT
06-25-2004, 03:06 AM
I have the RadioShack Pro-95. Dual trunking, 800 mHz, and 200 programable channels. Just around $160. It allows batteries to be recharged in the unit.

E.M. Bell
06-30-2004, 12:27 AM
I meant to respond the this thread a few days ago, and prompty forgot about it....forgive my delay(head hung in shame...im getting old)

A scanner is one route to go, but keep this in mind...most scanners are "tuned" to recieve a wide spectrum of freqs, meaning that they are not so sensiitive in any one portiion of thier range. Yes, youc an pick them up used on Ebay, or for decent prices new from the store, but you get what you pay for..

Personally, I will highly recomend picking up a used commercial radio. I am partial to GE's (radios...not locomotives)...I have Two GE MPA handhelds (132 channel) plus multiable GE mobiles in my truck. These can be tuned to be VERY sensitive in the railroad band, and they will put a standard scanner to shame. You can find these all the time on Ebay ad other sources for competive prices. Now the downside...almost all of these types of radios, GE's, Motorolas ect, are NOT field programable. They require a special cable and computer software to program. These items can also be found on Ebay, but they tend to be rather pricey. Almost any radio shop worth it salt will have the ability to program these and tune them up for $50 to $75. With all the channels they offer, you can put together a list for them and have tha done once and have everything you want. Also, the batteries can be a bit more than the consumer grade radios , but tend to last a lot longer. Even with the negitives, these are very rugged and can really take a pounding and keep working. You also have to be very careful when shopping and bidding on these, as they come in hundreds of styles...high band, low band, UHF, VHF, digital ect, and everything from 2 channel to 132 channel.

another option is ham equipment. Yasue and Kenwood have some very nice HT's and mobiles for decent prices. I know a few folks who have the newer Yasue FT2800 mobiles, and they work well, last for ever and recieve well. these are available from a varity on places in stores and on the net.

there are many other things that can go along with this...antennas (dont get me started on that) and the fact that it is illegal in many states to posses a radio in your vehicle (getting your ham ticket is a easy way to overcome that, and will open up another great hobby that goes hand in hand with railroading)....

Curtis Wininger
06-30-2004, 02:20 AM
Yeah, what he said.

Ham radios are pretty inexpensive and are made for the band right near railroad frequencies. Although you'll probably never have a problem with it, like EB said, it's illegal to have scanners in your car in many states. Getting a ham ticket makes it legal plus is very helpful for coordination between two or mor people. I have (or have not for you supervisors out there) scored a cab ride/visit by talking to some employees who carry ham radios with them.

So, yeah, I pretty much just said everything EB did.