PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with this picture?

MOKSRail
06-29-2004, 05:15 PM
It was rejected several times. The only way to change it would be to get closer on RR property.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=31647

The rejection excuses were the same: bad crop, etc.

The pic was originally wider, but the wide scenic shots here often seem to get rejected for "subject too far away."

No disrespect meant to this site, but note the comment another railfan placed on the pic.

E.M. Bell
06-29-2004, 09:35 PM
to much dead area at the bottom and to the left would be my guess...not that I screened that one. the cliffs above the train are much more dramatic than the dirt and grass at the bottom, and the train is much to far to the right, leaving a big hole on the left....

that looks like one hot place to be...

Anonymous
07-03-2004, 03:12 AM
The scenery is nice, but the composition is poor. The entire left half of the picture is empty, while half the train is cut off by the right edge of the frame.

If I were there, I would have walked up closer to the tracks and taken more of a head-on wedge shot. Or, if you prefer a no-trespassing option, I would have used a slightly wider angle lens and shot from your position, but I would have waited until the entire train was in the frame. Cutting off part of a train usually makes for a distracting, poor composition.

On a side note (and not just directed at you, Doug), does anyone else find it irritating when people here try to justify their low-quality pictures by saying, for example, it was the best angle they could get from public property, or they weren't able to set up a tripod, so their underexposed picture was the best result they could possibly get? Do what you can with what you've got, and if the result is sub-par, throw it out! I don't mean to sound overly harsh, but you can't always take a great picture every time, and excuses don't make bad pictures any better.

Chris Starnes
07-03-2004, 03:18 AM
On a side note (and not just directed at you, Doug), does anyone else find it irritating when people here try to justify their low-quality pictures by saying, for example, it was the best angle they could get from public property, or they weren't able to set up a tripod, so their underexposed picture was the best result they could possibly get? Do what you can with what you've got, and if the result is sub-par, throw it out! I don't mean to sound overly harsh, but you can't always take a great picture every time, and excuses don't make bad pictures any better.

Very well said, Mike. Thanks!

Ween
07-03-2004, 05:53 AM
On a side note (and not just directed at you, Doug), does anyone else find it irritating when people here try to justify their low-quality pictures by saying, for example, it was the best angle they could get from public property

I think my favorite is when shots get rejected for being back lit and the excuse is, "I cannot change the angle of the sun in the sky." Awesome!