PDA

View Full Version : Campaign to buy the screeners new monitors

davidg
07-01-2004, 11:55 AM
http://greenberger.no-ip.com/031123/IMG_2406.JPG

Rejected due to poor lighting.

Of course it's dim. It's sunset! It's dim and purple. That's the whole point.

Why do I often get the feeling the screeners need new monitors?

CN/NECR
07-01-2004, 03:48 PM
It's not the monitors,it's the screeners.If they thinks it's too dark they won't take it.What would of been better if you of did a longer exposer :)
I get photos reject for being too dark most of the time.I just work on brighten them up.

Lord Vader
07-01-2004, 04:02 PM
I'll take a Phillips 200P3G please. I didn't screen this photo, but I likely would have accepted it had I done so. I'm a sucker for dramatic lighting.

Joe
07-01-2004, 05:39 PM
The new monitors should be bigger. That way the "accept" button is bigger. And the screen should be curved, so it doesn't change brightness if/when they tilt them.

Lord Vader
07-01-2004, 07:57 PM
Yes Joe, but the "reject" button would also be larger :evil:

Chris Starnes
07-01-2004, 08:09 PM
Have you appealed it?

I wish you guys would appeal shots you feel should have been accepted instead of coming here to complain about it. If after the appeal you are still upset, then come here and get some other opinions. That would make it easier for all parties involved.....

davidg
07-01-2004, 11:24 PM
Fine, I'll appeal. I was afraid I'd worn out my appeal welcome by now. Besides, I don't think I've won anything on appeal yet, but here goes.

In response to CN/NECR: The overwhelming majority of my rejected submissions are rejected due to poor lighting. Of the three monitors I commonly use, most of them look fine (maybe a little dim, but basically fine) on two of them. The third -- well, I found it in the garbage room a few years back, so I don't expect much from it.

As for a longer exposure -- unfortunately, tripods are verboten on subway property, so I'm limited to short exposures. And before anyone suggests I ignore the rule against tripods, that's probably not a good idea right now, while the MTA is considering banning photography entirely except by permit (and nobody knows how freely permits will be granted, if at all).

E.M. Bell
07-01-2004, 11:25 PM
Send me a Sony flatscreen...24 inch would be nice to upgrade to, and would free up a lot of desk space....what a pal!!!!

just for the record, that shot is pretty niffty in my opinion, dramatic lighting in all, to bad you didnt just appeal like most folks do, instead of making a scene here, but hey...to each his own...

Ween
07-02-2004, 04:13 AM
I probably would have rejected it if I were a screener because of that big, fat guy in the center of the frame. He's distracting... :twisted:

davidg
07-02-2004, 04:28 AM
Believe me, I tried my hardest to get him out of the way, but he insisted on posing in each of my photos. He seemed to think he was the subject.

While I'm waiting to learn the results of my appeal, here's a neat shot I got from the train on the way out to Rock Park:

http://greenberger.no-ip.com/031123/IMG_2385.JPG

Bob
07-02-2004, 05:14 AM
At the risk of never getting another photograph accepted, here is my two cents: It seems some of the screeners are not artists ... just train buffs.

Lord Vader
07-02-2004, 10:54 AM
After reviewing your photos Bob, I'd be inclined to say the same of you.

mojo628
07-02-2004, 09:52 PM
Nice shot David. It should have been accepted. Looking at your other photos I don't see this one. How did the appeal process go?

Looks like the MTA needs to go to work on those broken/missing platform lamps. Where on the "A" line was this?

I see you have a shot by Yankee Stadium. How about equal time for us Mets fans with a 7 train shot near Shea? :D

Keep up the good work in the tunnels and on the platforms.

M.J. (Longing for a Sabrett's in Memphis :cry: )

davidg
07-09-2004, 03:55 AM
I sent in an appeal of the photo in question, and one or two others, a week ago, but I still haven't heard anything back. Oh well. It's not worth my trouble worrying about them anymore. Maybe I'll resubmit with my next batch, or am I not supposed to say that?

M.J.: The A train is at Rockaway Park, which is normally only served by the A during rush hours, but I got out there one weekend that the Far Rockaway branch was closed for track work. (When you lived in the city, the C or CC probably ran to Rock Park. That was changed in 1992; now, aside from rush hours, it's served only by a shuttle.) Yes, Yankee Stadium is represented here (http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=67226) (though I'm disappointed that you didn't catch the rerouted 6 train), but Shea is directly behind me in this one (http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=67221). (The sun doesn't bode well for shots of Shea Stadium itself except in the morning, and I'm never in Flushing in the morning. I don't follow sports myself, so I don't much care either way.)

I have lots more in the backlog. The IRT museum train ran in service yesterday on the 42nd Street shuttle for five hours. Here's a sneak preview:

http://greenberger.no-ip.com/040707/IMG_6561.JPG

kdarling
07-21-2004, 04:02 PM
Hey - I ran into someone who told me he purposely OVEREXPOSES his pictures to get accepted here. Otherwise, they are "too dark".

StL-rail
07-22-2004, 04:00 AM
I used to get the ax, so to speak, fairly frequently for "too dark." Now I almost go out of my way to spot the sun position, and always stay on the sunny side. I almost got in trouble with a UP crew because I almost got caught inbetween a meet on a station platform. :roll: All because it was the better shot. :shock: I managed to get outta there before Utterly Pathetic :twisted: could send a SA.

(I heard the UP crew say "Hey watch out, theres a kid at Kirkwood between one and two" :P )

Chris Kilroy
07-23-2004, 12:38 AM
Chances are, if you go out shooting on a dark, overcast day, your photos are going to be too dark -- no matter how much you overexpose them. That will serve to do one thing: wash out the sky, making it appear bright while the train is STILL too dark.

The fact is, in 95% of cases, trains look best when photographed in direct sunlight. Certainly there are exceptions, such as Brett Wyrick's great recent photo of a BNSF train in stormy weather conditions, or the many great lightning/monsoon shots from Steve Schmollinger. But in the majority of cases, sun is your best bet.

upswitchman
07-24-2004, 04:42 AM
davidg,
I see nothing wrong with that picture other than the man standing in it. I mean its a good sunset shot. And to Chris Starnes for complaining about people posting these kinds of topics, well a member can appeal shots all day long and the screeners will still turn it down. What's the point for having a appeal rejection notice via email if you are never going to get it over turned. The RP staff needs to realize that photography is a art and is something that is not a standard and everyone will look at a picture in a different way and will judge that picture in a different way.
Does the staff at RP reject photo's because it is not the way that they would take a picture of a train? I would hope not. Every photographer has his or her own way of photographing trains. And believe me those mint shots you get are few and far between. It would be nice to screen the screeners pictures for a change to show how critical and judgemental people could be of there work finding flaws that I know they would have in there train pictures. Nobody is perfect and no picture is perfect, you just have to have a open mind and set back and look at what the photographer is trying to capture and the work that they put into it. I personally know when a shot is no good and when I do get a good one, Hey thats one that did not get away.

upswitchman

Chris Starnes
07-24-2004, 04:59 AM
Appeals are overturned on a regular basis. If an appeal is rejected and is worthy of having an explanation given, it will be given.

Only thing I can suggest for you, upswitchman, is to start your own site with your open ideas and then lets compare in about a year and a half. This isn't as easy as it looks, folks.....