PDA

View Full Version : Yards in baltimore

jerkass
07-04-2004, 06:43 PM
can anyone explain why there are so many csx yards in baltimore city. example: mt. clare, bayview, penn mary, curtis bay.... and what most of them are used for and where they send trains out to.

Wade H. Massie
07-06-2004, 12:59 AM
It's hard to say exactly why Baltimore has so many yards today. I suppose it's partly due to the fact that they were constructed many, many years ago - after all, this is where railroading began in the US! Baltimore is an old industrial city and because of this it was likely impossible for any of the yards to be expanded or consolidated.

At any rate, I'll try to list what some of the yards are for:
Curtis Bay - mostly coal and autos, with some mixed freight coming from the branches
Locust Point - I believe this is where export grain trains end up. There are general merchandise docks here also
West Baltimore and Bay View - These yards are actually located along the main instead of on one of the many branches, I think they're mostly used for road trains setting off and picking up.
Penn Mary - Also used by the Canton RR, it mainly exists for traffic from the GM plant and other local industries. Seagirt intermodal yard is also nearby, road power from pig trains may tie up at Penn Mary

I hope this helps!

-Wade

J
07-06-2004, 06:17 PM
Yards were first established by B&O, PRR, WM and Patpsco & Back River when land was cheap and commerce was plentiful. Bethelehem Steel's Sparrows Point mill was the largest in the world in the late 1950's, couple that with the shipyards, coal docks, ore docks, bulk silos, etc. and it was a pretty busy place.

Capital ($$) is always tight on railroads and so today's operations make do with existing facilities. Operations change (little freight now moves on the Northeast Corridor) as do customers (shipyards now only do a little scrapping, but a lot of export autos are now loaded).