PDA

View Full Version : Two shots rejected

beal99
07-04-2004, 11:43 PM
I put two shots in today, one was rejected for bad cropping, probably too much sky, this one was rejected for "Backlighting"?? How is that so when the sun is shining right on the train, am i seeing something different?

http://www.railpictures.net/images/7/7-4-04_021.jpg.41026

Guilford350
07-05-2004, 12:54 AM
I don't see too much backlighting but the nose and pilot of the lead locomotive is a bit dark.

beal99
07-05-2004, 01:56 AM
yeah thats what i figured, darn these rigerous standards :)

Lord Vader
07-05-2004, 04:42 AM
I'd appeal that one.

Chris Starnes
07-05-2004, 05:55 AM
Yes....I would invite an appeal on that one.

beal99
07-05-2004, 07:17 AM
Hey Chris:

I can't find anything on how to appeal, so I guess this is it? I really like this shot, I understand the nose is dark, and thats a BIG nono around here, but I think it came out awfully crisp and clean. Along with this Photo ID 27278, which is another train shot coming the other way, I like this one as well, but rejected for bad cropping, would there be a suggestion on how to get this picture accepted as well?

Thanks!

Nate

ddavies
07-05-2004, 01:15 PM
Look at your images before you bother to submit, please. Any time I have a back-side lit (sun lights the side, but not the nose), I very carefully select the nose of the engine and increase the brightness and contrast (just a little ~10-20). This is the same as dodging a print in the darkroom.

http://members.cox.net/dbdavies/news/news.htm

Look at the fifth picture down. It is very backlit, but with proper exposure on the nose, it has been improved to where you might not even notice, if I didn't tell you.

And while you are at it correcting the nose exposure, you can crop out some of the grass at the bottom. Extra sky does not bother anywhere near as much as wasted room below the train - notice how all of my images are cropped very close to the train.

beal99
07-05-2004, 05:03 PM
makes sense, thanks Dave. I've been lookin at your pictures for a while nw thanks to the West Slope Yahoo group, and always have thought they are very well done.

beal99
07-06-2004, 04:52 PM
Chris--can i call your attention to photo 68039, its the same spot, cropped better, but has a dark nose as well. So if I crop it, will you accept it, or is it still too dark?

Chris Starnes
07-06-2004, 05:02 PM
Nate,

You can appeal photos by email if you are unable to use the appeal rejection link (in the photo submission results email). Just reply to the submission results email and we will go from there.

Thanks

rpalmer
07-09-2004, 05:29 PM
Look at your images before you bother to submit, please. Any time I have a back-side lit (sun lights the side, but not the nose), I very carefully select the nose of the engine and increase the brightness and contrast (just a little ~10-20). This is the same as dodging a print in the darkroom.

I saw that the image being discussed (CSX #531) did get accepted. However, unless the subject is something unusual that can't be easily shot again, the work involved in lightening the nose hardly seems worth it. I've never been to the location where the photo was taken, but I'm going to guess that coal trains with CSX AC44's run by there all day long. Instead of taking a photo with a dark nose, then trying to lighten the nose, why not return to the location at a time of day when the nose is lit and re-take the photo ?

Lord Vader
07-09-2004, 06:02 PM
Following up rpalmers inquiry, it actually is rather unusual to see a coal train come through there off the former L&N. Most of them take the Wilder Branch at Latonia located a few miles south of there. Few run through into Cincinnati. Most that do so come off the C&O, which is to the left.