PDA

View Full Version : Over-rejection on RP.net

AEM7NATE
07-09-2004, 02:41 AM
All:

I have been reading all these posts about over-rejection, and would like to offer a tidbit to consider.

I have been a railfan for 15 years, and a regular on this site for many months, (regular contributor for maybe 5-6 weeks. There have been many times I was none to pleased by rejection, but appealed only once because I did not want to be a "pain".

All this time I have scanned prints with a decent flatbed, but these rejections have caused me to look more critically at my work, and now I have transitioned to slides in my K1000, (Fuji Provia 100F). I am not a rich railfan (hence no digital or advance film gear), but my K1000 can shoot awesome prints, and I know I can come away with great slides. Coupled with a Dimage scanner (pardon the pun) I believe I can far exceed what I have ever shot with print, and that's one of the purposes: to preserve railroading as we see it or like it as best we can, ( I am a electric/NEC freak myself).

Not saying I always agree with the rejections (not by a longshot), but they have caused me to do better work, and I try to look objectively before I fly off the handle (privately) at the rejection. Maybe we can keep that in mind before we flame the screeners. I think it is nice to have a forum to share our work in the first place! Have fun folks. Catch me under catenary somewhere soon.

Regards,

NM

Click Here (http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=2449) to view my work on RailPictures.Net!

dns860
07-09-2004, 03:05 PM
REJECTION

Not me! I like to fly off the handle. I go bonkers when my photos get rejected!

When I submit photos, waiting for an answer immobilizes me. All I can think about is whether my pictures will be accepted or not. I stare at the TV. I surf the 'Net aimlessly. My hand rests atop my mouse, poised to click on 'new mail' at a moment's notice. During this time, my whole reason for existing seems to center on seeing a new message from 'screeners@railpictures.net' in my inbox.

Sometimes the screener's reply comes right away. Other times, it doesn't come until the next morning. Evidently, the screeners don't wait up to see my latest photos. Go figure!

But when the reply finally does come, I always open it immediately and hurriedly scroll down the page, past all the intro puffery, to the place beneath the dashed horizontal line where the screener's final judgments appear.

Most often what I get is a statement like, "Photo 6972334 was rejected from the database." Reading this brings on a change in me. I can feel the transformation as it happens. It's like the doors to madness get flung wide open, and I become a slave to the destructive whims of an unbridled rage.

I gaze at the word "rejected" flickering on the monitor. It's almost audible, and it repeats itself in my brain like a Pink Floyd song, driving me insane with the bile of disappointment. Rejected! Rejected!

The world closes in upon me. The room spins out of control. Acids erupt from my stomach. It chokes me as I struggle to avoid gargling, and the back of my throat burns. I am overcome by a blinding fury that's coupled to a shame so horrible that every mirror in the house would shatter if I dared walk by. Rejected!!! How can it be? Will the world ever embrace the unique photographic stylings of dns860?

But there's little time to wonder, for soon a maddening paranoia envelops me like a straight jacket. Shaking uncontrollably, in my mind's eye I see the screeners e-mailing my rejected photos back and forth to each other, mocking them and cavalierly insulting me with insults and insider jokes.

Wistfully I recall the effort that went into the rejected photos. The long walk to the railroad tracks. The even longer wait for a train. The battles with the police to stay by the right-of-way with my camera. The last second exposure adjustment as the train races into the viewfinder. The stress of deciding when to release the shutter. Those tense moments as my digicam writes each new picture to its memory card. Struggling to see the results on the LCD in the glare of bright sunlight. The trip home, my mind and soul eager with anticipation. Downloading the pics to my PC. Opening Photoshop, and coping with all the difficult cropping and editing decisions. The tedium of the upload process. The vulnerable feelings which surface while waiting for a response from those with the power to build up my fragile ego, or destroy it with a tersely worded message.

And despite all my efforts, all of my careful plans, and my noble intentions, what do I get, time and again? REJECTION!

Oh, cruel world of railroad photography! Why can't I pass muster with the legendary likes of Ted Benson and O. Winston Link? Will I always be a small, mediocre personage, a minor light among peers?

For me the most difficult reason for rejection is 'Bad Motive.' How could the screeners know my motives? In a way, it's a compliment. Generally I am so unskilled and absent-minded, my motives aren't clear to myself! Really! My motive is cro-magnon at best: "Train come. Make photo now."

But somehow, the screeners know my motives, even if I don't, and they decree that my motives are not poor motives or misguided motives, but bad motives! What is a bad motive? How can the screener's say mine are BAD? Did they break into my home while I was away and read my diaries? Have they found an open port on my PC, and secretly accessed my personal files? Or, could it be I'm such a predictable person that I reveal my motives to others without seeing them myself?

But regardless of the reason for my rejection, it is still a rejection. When a girl turns you down for a date, she will seldom specifically say, "I reject you!" Yet the screeners tell you in unmistakably raw terms that you're photo is rejected. REJECTED! It will have no future to look forward to. It is a reject. A REJECT!

There's the rage, welling up inside me again! I backhand my coffee cup, spilling its murky lukewarm contents to the floor! I struggle to my feet, flipping the computer desk before me forward with both hands, like the Incredible Hulk undergoing the transformation from Peter Parker into an unruly green behemoth. I stagger back, sputtering like a person possessed, surveying the rubble before me, and wiping the steady drool flowing from the corners of my mouth as I fight to stay on my feet. Dizzy, I grunt unspeakable insults at the unhearing, implacable screeners. Then, summoning all my remaining strength, I tilt my head back, and bellow into the midnight stillness a mournful sound with a power that carries it to all ends of the neighborhood. "NO-O-O-O-O-O!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Exhausted now, I fall backwards, arms akimbo, and crash onto the floor. I begin rolling from side to side, whimpering like a child until, finally, at long last, I drift into a sad, defeated sleep.

Hours pass. The dawn's early light burns through the blinds onto the contours of my shuttered eyelids. I wake again. I rub my eyes and struggle to focus my vision through the crust that has formed upon them. I drag my loathsome form towards the Krups coffee maker like a wounded worm. Glancing at the wall outlet, I notice the NiMH battery charger indicator LED is glowing a steady, encouraging green. My camera batteries are recharged. A sensation not unlike a merry-go-round lurching back into motion overtakes my senses, but it's all in my head. Perhaps later today I will try the Palmer Avenue bridge.

Perhaps...

Later....

AEM7NATE
07-09-2004, 03:39 PM
I am not sure if that was a cynical reply to my post or an attempt at humor, but you sure made me crack up, which I could use today!!! :D

NM

mojo628
07-09-2004, 04:02 PM
I stand up and flip the computer desk forward like the Incredible Hulk undergoing the transformation from Peter Parker.

Actually Bruce Banner turns into the Hulk. Peter Parker is Spider-Man. :twisted:

Other than that...... good reply. It made me laugh. :D

rpalmer
07-09-2004, 05:18 PM
REJECTION

Sometimes the screener's reply comes right away. Other times, it doesn't come until the next day. Evidently they don't wait up for my submissions. But when my reply finally does come, I open it immediately and scroll down the page past all the intro puffery to the place beneath the dashed horizontal line where the screener's final judgments will be.

Most often what I see is a statement like, "Photo 6972334 was rejected from the database," and that's when, once again, the night seems to tunr even darker, and the madness begins...

Staring at the word "rejected" the world seems to close in upon me.

Perhaps the RP.NET staff needs to change the text of the message. The word "REJECTED" can be SO harsh. Instead of "Photo 6972334 was rejected from the database", perhaps the message should read something like this: "The Railpictures.net photo screening staff has viewed image #6972334". Although we feel that it is a fine photograph, we have decided not to add it to the database at this time."
:)

dns860
07-09-2004, 06:30 PM
Thanks for letting me know you got a laugh from my post, guys! Getting a laugh is all I intended. I try to never make fun of anyone but myself, or even seem to do anything otherwise. Obviously Nate, your post inspired me to contribute my response, but that is all it did. The rest was pure me, and honestly it isn't completely fictitious. I have yet to turn over my PC and roll on the floor whimpering, however, but I may just yet, one of these nights!

But the real deal is I should be immersed in the want ads right now, not hanging around all morning writing silly posts here in the forum!

I have decided to let "Peter Parker" stand in my reference to the hulk. Good catch, mojo. Nevertheless I think the error adds to the humor in this case. It's added proof of my skewed grasp of reality! What do you think?

Do many mortal counterparts of the major superheroes have first and last names which begin with the same letter, or same sounding letter? Bruce Banner. Peter Parker. Clark Kent.

David Sommer

CN/NECR
07-09-2004, 07:22 PM
Hey Dave on your words of rejection you should become a poet! :lol:

Ken Carr
07-09-2004, 08:44 PM
Dave here's a link you might enjoy...by the way ejoyed your post, been awhile since I seen such great humor on this site....

http://www.netpoets.com/poems/

Joe
07-09-2004, 09:35 PM
Well, I was gonna reply with all the things already said, but I was too slow...Oh well, I'll pretend I was the first to reply to that hilarious post! :lol:

Ahem! You should become a poet or writer the way you took all that time and effort into making laugh out loud, sitting in front of our computers! I, myself had always wondered how the screeners knew whether our motives were bad or good... :D :evil: I act just the same way when I see all my photos get REJECTED (ok, a little less violent) after I spent so much effort to get my pictures. :wink:

Oh, and Peter Parker turns into Spiderman, not the Hulk. :roll:

OK, I think that's about how I would have replied if you all hadn't beaten me to it! Great story, Dave!

chris crook
07-15-2004, 04:53 PM
AEM7Nate,
I don't think I have ever looked around much at the forums here before this morning, but I was shocked and dismayed by the whining and complaining about forum rejection here. I liked your post. I hope that others follow your advice. Way too many crybabies here.

rpalmer
07-16-2004, 02:24 PM
AEM7Nate,
I don't think I have ever looked around much at the forums here before this morning, but I was shocked and dismayed by the whining and complaining about forum rejection here. I liked your post. I hope that others follow your advice. Way too many crybabies here.

It's amazing - isn't it !!
Instead of trying to resolve their issues through the appeal process, many "whiners" feel the need to take things a step further and post their whining to trainorders.com and various yahoo E-Mail lists, so that they can feel better when people praise the quality of their rejected photos and bash the screeners.

rbenko
07-18-2004, 06:31 AM
Dave (aka dns860):

What a priceless reply - filled with witty commentary, dripping with sarcasm, loaded with self-deprecating humor, and executed with proper grammar and spelling - quite a rare combination for an online forum! Too bad you don't seem to shoot as well as you write :)