PDA

View Full Version : Questions about CSX?????

bourkinafasso
07-13-2004, 05:56 AM
:shock:
Hi guys,

As I live on the old continent, US trains a very very different from are local one... and I need some infos to built and run properly my N scale layout :

- do coal trains always run with cars from a particular company or do they also run with mixed up cars like NS and CSX for exemple ?

- how many different company CSX hauls coal trains for?

thanks for your help

Bourkinafasso

J
07-13-2004, 01:09 PM
The answer is "yes." In the eastern US there are a lot of "system" cars used to haul coal - on CSX this would be cars stenciled "CSXT" or former Conrail cars shown as "NYC" after the old New York Central. However, many electric utilities have leased their own fleets of coal gons and such trains from the Power River Basin in eastern Wyoming (along with western locomotives) often show up on CSX. These could be stenciled anything from JAIX (lease cars from Johnstown America - manufacturer) to the various electric utility companies such as PEPX for Potomic Electric Power.

JButler
07-26-2004, 03:00 AM
I live in the Kanawha Valley in West Virginia and see plenty of CSX coal trains. In fact that is most of what we see on this portion of CSX. Most of the coal hoppers are VAPX, Virginia Power, AEPX, American Electric Power, and CSX. Once in a while, maybe six time a month we see unit trains for DEEX, Detroit Edison Electric, or some other company. By far the majority of trains on the Coal River Subdivision are CSX or AEPX cars with CSX locomotives.
Jim Butler
www.sa-com.org