PDA

View Full Version : What should be different?

WSOR 3807
07-19-2004, 12:14 AM
Hi all,

This is my first post on the Forums, though I've been around here for a few months trying to up load pictures. I've had one go through, but that's a small percentage of what I've submitted. These links:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=31700
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=31699

are of a few photo's I just had rejected today. They were rejected for the reason of being too dark. Now for the first one, I had the sun at my back, and it was the middle of the afternoon. The second one was taken at about a 75 degree angle to the sun, but to me it still came out good. What exactly should I do next time when trying to take pictures so as to not have this happen? I use a digital camera, a fairly inexpensive one that came with our computer, so I can modify as I take a picture, if that's needed.

Noah

Joe
07-19-2004, 01:02 AM
Let's see, the first shot of the GP39-2 is cloudy and it looks rather blue. I like the paint and patch job, though. I'd say "cloudy shot of uncommon :lol: power." Screener Comments: Try to get rid of some of the blue and it should be acceptable.

The second one is pretty much too bright in the sky and not enough on the locomotive, the trucks are a bit dark and it looks like it was taken into the sun. If I were screener, I would probably reject that one.

When taking pictures, when possible, take it so that the sun hits the sides of the locomotive that you are taking the picture of. Cross the tracks if you have to so that the sun is on the train. If it comes out a little dark, try to fix it. Cloudy shots of common power (BNSF, NS Dash9s, UP SD70Ms, etc) will not get accepted, so don't try to upload them.

Hope that helps!

Ween
07-19-2004, 07:42 AM
I've been around here for a few months trying to up load pictures. I've had one go through, but that's a small percentage of what I've submitted.

Just keep trying; that's the best advice I can give you. The acceptance standards they set here will force you to take better pictures. You don't have to be a professional or have professional gear (trust me) to get your photos accepted. Just learn from your rejections, take the screeners reasons and apply them to future photo opportunities. Think about where the sun is at all times: that seems to be the key when first starting out. I've got myself so tuned in to where the sun is, I find myself thinking about the sun angle and whatnot even when I'm not by the rails waiting for trains!

As far as the two photos you linked, I have to agree with Joe. The first one is a really neat BNSF paint job (never seen that before), but the sun just wasn't cooperating with you. Just put it behind you and look forward to another opportunity in the future.

Hope that helps...

Guilford350
07-19-2004, 02:00 PM
I have to agree with Joe, also.

Too bad the first one didn't get accepted. Its probably the most rare paint scheme on BNSF. Only a couple units were done that way. A little work in photoshop can fix it up, though. On the second one the sky has a washed out effect and although you can see detail on the trucks and underframe, I'd say its slightly back lit as well.

Just try to keep your back to the sun and avoid shooting into the sun (unless you are trying something artistic).

oltmannd
07-19-2004, 05:24 PM
Both are two dark. It looks like your camera was fooled by the cloudy-bright sky. You may be able to salvage them in Photoshop or other editor, but in the future, you need a more accurate exposure. If your shooting with a camera with automatic exposure, often you can "trick" your camera into the proper exposures.

For many cameras you can do this: aim the camera down a bit more so that there is more forground and less sky. Hold the shutter down half way to set and hold the exposure. Tilt the camera up to compose your shot and push shutter down the rest of the way. Just make sure that what you're aiming at when you do this is the same distance as the subject once you tilt back up since this will set the focus, too.

The second picture looks like a mid-day summer roster shot, somewhat backlit. It's really tough to get a good picture under these conditions no matter what you do.

WSOR 3807
07-19-2004, 06:11 PM
Thanks alot for the help everybody. I'm going to have to tinker around with the pictures in photoshop and see if I can't fix it a little bit. Thanks again.

Noah