PDA

View Full Version : "Similar Shots," really?

StL-rail
07-19-2004, 05:26 AM
Ok, I am dumfounded over the judgment of the screeners here at RP.net.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=69726
This shot was accepted . . . .

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=31496
This shot was rejected for being "similar to previous photo" or what not.

Similar? Your just screwing with me right?
The car in the first shot isn't even in the second one . . . its not even the same scene, it shows the other overtuned cars, the clean-up effort and the damaged track. The lighting is good, not a bad angle (or crooked), and its not fuzzy or blurry. What is going on here! I can't figure it out, maybe you guys can?

Ween
07-19-2004, 07:32 AM
Don't sweat it. I haven't been a fan of the "Similar Shot" rejection either. I've taken pics of the same unit in different locations and got that reason for rejection, and I've taken pics of different trains (including differing company/manufacturer) at the same location and gotten the axe for being too similar. I always thought that was one of the weaker rejection reasons because, let's face it, if that were the sole reason, there would never be another NS Catfish photo accepted since chances are, they all look similar!

But I don't want to add another gripe post to the screening process or the screeners. Their job is much like an umpire's in baseball: pretty quiet until they miss a call or someone disagrees with their decision. It's just another one of those 'no respect from the peanut gallery'-type jobs...

E.M. Bell
07-19-2004, 11:49 AM
I didnt screen those two, so I cant say why the person that did felt they are alike, But...(there is always a But)....

IMO, the second shot is to cluttered, with the main focus of the shot being in a shadowed area, making it hard to tell what it is. The angle of the first shot is much more interesting, less cluttered, and tends to tell the story a little better....

and speaking of turned over covered hoppers, the NS decided to let a load of soy beans get loose in the yard our RR used to interchange in, and said car rolled all the way through the yard and right through our derail , turned over and spilled most of the beans.. Even after the mess was cleaned up we still had to wade through ankle deep, wet, decomposing soy beans....I can still smell that horrable smell even today... My wife wouldn't let me in the house after work, and all that stuff got tracked up into the cab of the engine...what a wonderful thing in the middle of August. Funny how looking a pic of a derailed car can bring back smelly memories :)