PDA

View Full Version : Dash8, 9 air conditioners

Joe
07-23-2004, 03:21 PM
What is with BNSF Dash9s having different-colored air conditioners than the rest of the locomotive? I have seen Warbonnets with orange A/Cs, Pumpkins with Warbonnet A/Cs, and some Pumpkins with faded orange A/Cs. Oh, and here's a good one, an Amtrak Dash8 in Phase IV paint, but with a Pepsi-Can A/C. http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=70536 I really don't get it...Do you have to paint the A/C boxes separately for some reason?

Any help is appreciated! :)

Guilford350
07-23-2004, 06:38 PM
On CSX, some Dash-8's in the Bright Future scheme can be found with Conrail Blue AC's. See this photo: http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=24331

I'm not sure exactly why this is done but I assume that its easier to replace a non-working AC unit with a working one and then have the shop guys fix the non-working one.

J
07-25-2004, 06:37 PM
The name of the game is to keep locomotives in service. Shop managers are closely monitored to see how long it takes to get a unit back out earning money. Bonus points for "esthetics" comes a distant second. A defective air conditioner, will be pulled from a unit and replaced out of inventory - often a unit that failed earlier and has been repaired.

Joe
07-25-2004, 09:46 PM
OK, I think I get it!

Say a BNSF Pumpkin goes into the shops for a broken A/C. The shop has an A/C box from a Warbonnet, so they use that. The shop fixes the pumpkin A/C box and the a Warbonnet comes in with a broken A/C. The Warbonnet then gets the Pumpkin A/C. That's how you get orange boxes on Warbonnets, and vice versa... :D

But what about the Amtrak Dash 8? Was that A/C box from a Pepsi-Can that was taken out of service? Because all of the active Dash 8s have been repainted into Phase IV...

Ween
07-25-2004, 10:30 PM
A defective air conditioner, will be pulled from a unit and replaced out of inventory - often a unit that failed earlier and has been repaired.

Same concept with airplanes. If something's broke, and there's a plane that's not flying sitting in the hangar, they'll take a part out of the plane that's not flying and put it in the one that's scheduled to fly (assuming it's not just quicker to swap planes).

They call that 'canning' parts. 'Canning' is short for 'cannibilizing.' The only difference with planes is, most of the stuff that breaks is internal so you can't see it! Either way, all our planes are painted the same so if it's something external, you couldn't tell the difference anyway!