PDA

View Full Version : Metering manual or automatic?

wdgodwin
07-28-2003, 08:35 PM
Just curious how you other railfans meter when shooting. I know when I get any degree of loco headlight in the lens the meter wants to underexpose. Hence I shoot in the manual mode to meter the scene and override the system for proper exposure regardless of headlights. All my meters are "Center Weighted Average" and I know with all the new cameras some have 35 metered evaluative zones. Are yall shootin' manual as well?

Chris Starnes
07-29-2003, 05:06 AM
David,

I am using the D60 DSLR (digital version of the Canon Rebel, basically) and I am on Manual 99.9% of the time. The headlights can really mess the AE feature up on this thing and its best (I think) to do as you say, and overwrite that with manual settings.

Chris

wdgodwin
07-29-2003, 03:43 PM
Yep, I shoot nearly 100% manual as well. Especially with the larger format stuff. Just thinking I might be missing something. Everybody else shooting manual?

Ken Carr
07-30-2003, 04:20 AM
Normally during the day I use the programable function on my TI. But depending upon lighting and background I sometimes go to manual. All my evening and night shots are on manual.