PDA

View Full Version : What can I do?

Guilford350
08-04-2004, 01:47 PM
This photo http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=36670 got rejected for bad lighting(backlit). So I brightened it up a bit and then it gets rejected for bad cropping. I'm not complaining or anything, I actually agree with the rejections, but what can I do to make that photo better? I was thinking cropping the tracks in the foreground and a little on left. Suggestions? Thank you.

Warren
08-04-2004, 02:57 PM
I am afraid if you crop out the forground you may get another backlit rejection. The shadows don't look to good and the nose is dark.

E.M. Bell
08-04-2004, 03:13 PM
not thats its your fault, but the overall lighting plus the lack of scenery at that angle make that shot a lost cause. dark nose and shadow, plus the fact that its more or less just a poorly lit roster shot

Joe
08-04-2004, 04:13 PM
I actually like the shot, but the screeners have the final say in the matter. :P

mojo628
08-04-2004, 04:46 PM
Actually I'd have to agree with Joe. I like the shot. While there is nothing distinctive showing the area of the country, the scene does tell you that a meeting with the track in the foreground is fast approaching.

If you have Photoshop, or something similar, you can try isolating the nose and just brightening that section of the train.

Perhaps you should have shot in Austrailia that way the backlighting would have been overlooked such as this photo. :twisted:
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=72366

I'm not trying to slam this photographer, I actually like the photos he's submitted from down under. I'm just showing that sometimes it all depends on who's doing the screening.

oltmannd
08-04-2004, 05:44 PM
I like the shot as is.

It's a matched pair of UP C40-8s - somewhat rare that far east (Selkirk NY). C40-8s being much rarer than wide cabs in general added to it being UP on West Shore plus the fact they are the same class back to back make this one a winner.

It ain't backlit. It's side lit. Backlit is when the sun is in your face. Here, the sun is to the left of the photographer and the exposure is good. I think it's nit picking to reject for the shadow on the nose - but that's just me!

If the photographer took a "going away" shot, that might actually be a better one to upload. It would have that perfect lighting the screeners are looking for and it would show the SK interlocking which would fix the location of the shot give the viewer a better feel for what's going on.

Guilford350
08-04-2004, 09:15 PM
Thank you all for the comments and suggestions!

I decided not bother with this photo. The train caught me by surprise as it came around the bend and I didn't have my camera ready. I have a going away shot which has better lighting and shows the interlocking. So I'll give that a shot.

Peter
08-05-2004, 02:14 AM
If you use Paint Shop Pro v8, do a tight crop and use Enhance Photo, One-Step Photo Fix. You should find the result, satisfactory.

rowie
08-07-2004, 02:05 PM
Perhaps you should have shot in Austrailia that way the backlighting would have been overlooked such as this photo. :twisted:
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=72366

Tsk, Tsk, Backlit and going away. :shock: :) I think a screener from Australia is needed :D

David.