PDA

View Full Version : Filing System?

wdgodwin
08-11-2003, 01:19 PM
I have to admit my slides and negatives are not organized. I have 35mm, medium format and large format mix of B&W, color neg and color slide. I am suprised I can find any image in my library. I am considering starting a Microsft Access data base or Excel spreadsheet. Is there a better idea? Anybody have an existing file to share? Perhaps with the fields set up ready to add information. Looking for any guidance here.

petertenthije
08-11-2003, 08:18 PM
I myself use a access file, albeit for planes instead of trains (for me planes is the main hobby and trains is something to practise the manual focus of my camera :twisted:).

In my database I store a lot of information. The operator, planetype and version, location, construction number, date, etc. Each photo gets a reference number consisting of the date and a number. The first plane I see on a particular date gets 001, the second plane I see 002 etc. This way I get the following reference number:

YYYY/MM/DD-001

I start with the year because then I can keep it in order of date. Otherwise you get in the situation that all pics made on the first are together, irrespective if it is the first of Januari 1990 or the 1st of August 2003!

Based upon this number I can retrieve all the information I want/find the picture. The real advantage is that I got a digital camera so I can keep all my stuff together. If I want I can even make thumbnails inside the acces file. I do not do this because it would slow the program down a lot.

At the moment my system has 5000 (!) entries and starting it takes 20 seconds. I fear that in a few years the file might be to slow. If that is a fault inherent to MS Access or if my computer needs upgrading I am not sure about.

If you want I'll sent you a version of my database. Just give me a few hours to tone it down, remove a few 1000 entries so it is easier to e-mail. You'd still get the general idea.

wdgodwin
08-12-2003, 12:15 PM
Peter, I would be most appreciative. What I'am looking for is a boilerplate file something to kick off with. I am not very fluent with Access. I am more familiar with Excel but am concerned that it would have some shortcomings. :roll:

petertenthije
08-12-2003, 05:47 PM
You should have received it now, if not it should come in any minute. I hope you cleared your inbox because at 1,9mb it isn't small!