PDA

View Full Version : It's Not Official Yet, But...

dns860
08-27-2004, 05:22 PM
I just hung up the phone after speaking with Metro-North Railroad, and I was told they are pretty sure they can issue me a photographer's pass!

Will let you know! Have to call back in a little while! May have to submit documentation.

Dave

Chris Starnes
08-27-2004, 08:45 PM
I'd say print out some of your shots from the website and show them. That ought to be enough documentation.

dns860
08-27-2004, 09:03 PM
Well, it's for a limited time only (8/28/04 to 9/6/04) and only at pre-determined locations, but I have been granted permission to take pictures at Metro-North stations!

Thanks for the tip, Chris, and I did exactly what you suggested, and it seemed to help. I asked for and received a permit valid for the upcoming TRAINS magazine photo contest period. After the permit expires, I suppose I will have to get another permit, or give up photography until I can come up with another reason why I should be given a permit.

I was advised that if I 'm asked by police leave a location, even with my permit, the police's authority supercedes, despite the fact that the signed permit I now possess comes from the railroad's executive headquarters. I hope the police will consider my permit as valid and allow me to proceed!

I'm wondering if maybe I should let the police know I'm out there with a permit before they have to respond to someone's call and come and check me out themselves. But if I do, I'm afraid they'll say they don't care what my permit says. Evidently it's their perogative to say so...

I do wonder why I've been so stubborn about this matter. I guess it depresses me to think my own country doesn't trust me anymore.

Dave