PDA

View Full Version : NS C40-9W firecracker antennas?

crazytrain
08-19-2003, 03:23 PM
Does any body know about what roster number the C40-9Ws' lost the dual firecracker antennas on the long hood behind the cab? Also, when did they start recessing the sand filler into the rear of the long hood? I would be grateful for any help. Thanks!

Guilford350
08-19-2003, 07:18 PM
I think the recessed sand filler is a Conrail trait. I notice that most ex.Conrail units have this. I'm not really up to date with Norfolk Southern stuff, sorry I can't be of more help.

crazytrain
10-02-2003, 09:56 PM
Thanks for the reply, Guilford350! Been a while since I last visited.

Guilford350
10-07-2003, 10:29 PM
Here, in this picture:http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=34503 you can clearly see the recessed sand filler, but this is on a CSX AC4400CW. So it appears that recessed sand fillers aren't exactly a Conrail trait, atleast for GE's. Maybe recessed sand fillers are standard now for all new GE (even EMD?) locomotives?

Not sure what NS units lost their firecracker antennas, though. Sorry.

Does anyone have any further information about these two subjects?

oltmannd
10-08-2003, 03:57 PM
It definetly started with Conrail and, I think, GE moved to make it std. The idea was based on safety (which makes you think NS should have had it first!). You don't need to climb to fill sand and it's recessed so you don't bump into when passing.

-Don

Gregory Wallace
10-08-2003, 05:30 PM
"Sand filler"?

What's that? And why?

Ignorantly yours,
Gregory

Guilford350
10-08-2003, 09:08 PM
Gregory,

All locomotives carry sand on them to provide extra tractive effort on slippery rails or when trying to start a train on a grade. Most locomotives will usually carry around 50-60 cubic feet of sand on them.

NSDash9
10-09-2003, 10:58 AM
Only the first NS Dash 9-40CW order for 240 units, Nos. 8889-9128, were equipped with the two large Sinclair antennas on top of the cab and the two firecracker antennas on top of the generator compartment.

All of the NS Dash 9-40CW units have the rear sandfiller recessed into the end of the long hood. The standard cab Dash 9-40C units had the rear sandfiller on the top of the long hood end.

Chris Toth

crazytrain
10-09-2003, 07:28 PM
Thank you for the replies everyone.

Chris, thanks for those numbers and the sand filler hatch answer as well. My H.O. Dash 9's(CW's) will be getting a rework of the rear sandfiller configuration. I have had quite a struggle getting info on the rear of these earlier 9's. I am modeling locomotives 8890 and 8891 and for the most part they are complete minus the rear sand hatch. Thank you!

BTW, the photos that are submitted to RailPictures are a big help to modelers everywhere, I'm sure. Shots of all angles are very helpfull as well as "setting" shots. Ones that not only show the train itself, but the environment they traverse, are informative in their own right. Keep up the great work!