PDA

View Full Version : Flash photography of moving equipment

Robby
09-09-2004, 01:22 AM
I'm looking to get opinions on this subject since I've been seeing more and more of these shots showing up here and elsewhere on the internet. Although I have lots of nice sunpack strobes with radio remotes, I've always stopped shy of setting up to flash moving trains out on the road mainly out of respect for the crews. I've recently seen flash shots of lead engines rolling out of tunnels in the dead of night frozen by multiple strobes and wonder what the crews think about this practice? Any T&E guys on here care to throw in your $0.02? There are also rumors floating about CSX at Shelby that a crew called in a bomb threat after being hit with a massive flash while on Copper Creek a few months back. I'm really don't care to know who did it but would like to open the forum up to civil discussion. I would love to freeze frame some action shots down on Crooked Hill in Ky and have thought about discussing the shots with the pusher crews so they could warn the head end crew about my intentions but still remain a bit standoffish.

I had a similar thread removed from a Yahoo group this week after someone posted night flash shots and I started thinking about some cool October evening adventures myself. Not sure if the moderator pulled my question or what but it was quickly killed. Go figure.............

Robby

Chris Starnes
09-09-2004, 02:59 AM
Robby,

In regards to that incident you speak of on the CRR, that happened at Pool Point, not Copper Creek. No need to go into details but needless to say it did catch the crew by suprise. I am not aware of any "bomb threat" or anything like that. I spoke to several people with the railroad about the incident after it happened and I never heard anything about that. End of story.

Chris

Ween
09-09-2004, 06:53 AM
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=76032

Surprise!!

You can almost see the crap coming out of that guy caught in the flash!

Neat shot, but I'd hate to be the one responsible for one of the crew keeling over from a heart attack...

pfurnee
09-10-2004, 03:49 AM
I was just reading this thread, and I would like to ask of you to remove the words associated with a threat. That "B" word specfically. That mention of it as any threat is hearsay, and extremely untrue. Having first hand knowledge of that alleged "incident", there are numerous information spins, most completely untrue. Discussing it in a public forum will only result in more untruths, and ruin flash photography for everyone. There is no place to discuss what goes into each photo until it is in print.

Basically, the "incident"; there is more than meets the eye, and most of it should not be discussed publically, as it will open a can of worms most parties do not want opened.

I am glad, however, that folks are enjoying the shots. It is a lot to set up, arrange and complete.

mojo628
09-10-2004, 05:21 AM
I am glad, however, that folks are enjoying the shots.

I bet the crew you surprised would have a different opinion on your tactic.

Chris Starnes
09-10-2004, 05:29 AM
Alrighty....I think the point of the topic has been made.

Robby got his answers...I don't think anything else productive can come from this.