PDA

View Full Version : Question about locomotives spotted on I-40 in TN

Gregory Wallace
09-28-2004, 06:34 AM
The locomotives aren't running on I-40 ... well, let me explain.

I drive from Memphis to Nashville twice a week on I-40. There are a LOT of tractor-trailers, and for a long time I've been seeing some freight on the back of flatbeds that looks strangely familiar, but I couldn't quite put my finger on it.

But today, I finally figured out what those things are: they're the outer rear housings of locomotives, unpainted and empty -- just shells, so to speak, painted primer-green, two-to-a-flatbed. (The protruding flared radiator thingies finally gave it away). I'm terrible at ID'ing locomotives, but they look like GE AC4400CWs... or something similar.

So I wonder: does anyone know where they're coming from, and where they're headed? They're ALWAYS headed east, by the way. I just wonder where the final assembly plant might be. I see these almost every week, sometimes several per trip. Must be a lot of them getting built.

Lord Vader
09-28-2004, 04:09 PM
GE has a fabricating plant in Monterrey, Mexico, so they MAY be coming from there. Destination for assembly is Erie, Pennsylvania. GE has a tremendous lot of orders on the books right now, so you'll be seeing those quite a bit.

Joe
09-29-2004, 12:35 AM
Why can't they ship train parts on...well...trains? Seems kinda logical. But whatever GE wants to do is fine with me, as long as they keep rollin' out more locomotives! :lol:

Jonathan Guy
09-30-2004, 09:01 AM
Ever notice how many sets of freightcar wheels/axles you see on flatbed trucks vs. railcar shipments. Kinda makes one wonder. :lol: