PDA

View Full Version : BNSF Lincoln Nebraska Abandonment?

Andy1142
10-04-2004, 08:21 PM
I grew up next to the BN eventually BNSF line that went from Lincoln to the Omaha Public Power Station just south of Nebraska City. Their was always 1 train a day each way complete with helper units attached. Sometime in the last year the trains stopped and I was just curious if they abandon that line. If so where is the power plant getting their coal?

On the BNSF website the line is listed as a "short line" but no mention of which line that would be. I've periodically seen KYLE locomotives on the line shortly before activity stopped but they do not show the line as being theirs either.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

Andy

nordique72
01-02-2005, 07:40 AM
The BNSF actually sold this line a couple years ago to Nebraska Public Power from just outside of Lincoln on the east side (I think at Lancaster) all the way to Nebraska City. Currently the NPPD coal trains from Wyoming are running on the Union Pacific's Falls City sub to Neb. City, where they get on the old BNSF via a new UP/NPPD connection to the power plant. The UP just got this contract a couple months ago so it may be awhile before the unit coal trains return to the old BNSF. (I had no idea that NPPD was running anything on the line though, that would be neat to see!)

Nordique72

Andy1142
01-21-2005, 08:02 PM
Thanks so much for responding! I had given up on getting a response.

Another question than,..what will happen to the line between just outside of Lancaster county to Nebraska City? Is it going to be abandon now? :(