PDA

View Full Version : Distortion?

gp30
10-11-2004, 06:24 PM
Need info on rejection for distortion? ttp://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=55997
Also this one for bad quality.
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=56010
I appealed both and just got rejection stands no further info.
Thanks for any replies.
Scott B.[/img]

Ween
10-11-2004, 07:45 PM
Geez, I don't know. I like both shots; they both 'look' good to me, but sometimes the screeners' better trained eyes see things that I can't see on my monitor. I'll get the occasional rejection for 'too much compression.' I have no idea what that means or how that happens as I process all my photos the same way, but they can see it when looking at a submitted photo and I can't. I just chalk it up to an anomaly in my camera and move on.

The Maersk NS shot looks as though it was a farther away shot that was cropped to look closer. When I try to crop a farther shot to make it look tighter, I'll get the 'bad quality' rejection more often than not. I kept getting this shot (http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=80677) rejected until I just resized the original image without cropping to make it look tighter (I kept cropping out the field to the left). That helped with the quality issue and it got accepted. I think you have a good shot at getting it accepted by resizing the original image. It may not be cropped to the standards that usually get accepted here, but the screeners allow alot of wiggle room when dealing with rare or one-of-a-kind subjects like you captured.

Hope that helps.

Lord Vader
10-11-2004, 10:09 PM
Notice in the first photo that the locomotive is a bit "too tall". That is distortion.

The second is borderline, but there is a bit too much compression. Note the distorted numbers on the second unit. Try saving the image at a higher quality level. That should resolve the issue.

rpalmer
10-12-2004, 07:30 PM
The CSX shot is really distorted. This would occur in Photoshop if you changed the size of the image in some way, but had the "constrain proportions" box unchecked.
The second image appears to be over-sharpened.

Ween
10-13-2004, 11:48 PM
Glad to see the Maersk NS shot got accepted. Congrats...

gp30
10-13-2004, 11:57 PM
Thanks Ween, I just sent in the original instead of cropping it down. The other photo, my son sent one in that is similar so I wont resubmit that one.
Thanks again for the responses.
Scott B.