RailPictures.Net Forums

RailPictures.Net Forums (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/index.php)
-   U.S. Class 1 Railroad Discussion (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   BNSF SD70s in California (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3676)

StackTrain 05-26-2006 05:59 AM

BNSF SD70s in California
 
Hello and I am new here!

I have been looking here over photos of my favorite railroad BNSF in California, and noticed that they mostly operate Dash 9s here and seldom are there any SD75s. Is there a reason for this? Thanks.

busyEMT 05-26-2006 01:13 PM

Most likely due to 2 reasons. First, the SD70s and 75 were dedicated to coal service out of the Powder River Basin in WY.

Second, and probably less likely, BNSF assigns locomotive fleets to a home yard for service. Without benefit of a book I have, I believe the SD70s are shopped out of NE, KS or MT.

I would love to see more of the ex-SF B23-7s, but they stick to the Galesburg, IL area.

BNSF_SD40-2B 05-26-2006 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by busyEMT
Most likely due to 2 reasons. First, the SD70s and 75 were dedicated to coal service out of the Powder River Basin in WY.

Second, and probably less likely, BNSF assigns locomotive fleets to a home yard for service. Without benefit of a book I have, I believe the SD70s are shopped out of NE, KS or MT.

I would love to see more of the ex-SF B23-7s, but they stick to the Galesburg, IL area.

Could the book you talk about be by Robert DelGrosso? :D

busyEMT 05-26-2006 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BNSF_SD40-2B
Could the book you talk about be by Robert DelGrosso? :D

Yes it is. If it isn't with me trackside, it is on my computer desk.

According to the book mentioned above [ BNSF Railway 2004-2005 Locomotive Review; Del Grosso, Robert C. ], SD75Ms are out of Glendive, MT; SD70MACs are listed as out of Alliance, NE.

cmherndon 05-27-2006 02:52 AM

Quote:

I have been looking here over photos of my favorite railroad BNSF in California, and noticed that they mostly operate Dash 9s here and seldom are there any SD75s
Also take into consideration that BNSF has over 1000 Dash 9s. The laws of probability also prevail, regardless of where the fleets are based out of.


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:41 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.