RailPictures.Net Forums

RailPictures.Net Forums (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/index.php)
-   Railroad Photography Forum (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Speaking of recent rejections..... (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/showthread.php?t=12230)

John West 05-16-2010 07:17 PM

Speaking of recent rejections.....

This old Anscochrome was fun resurrecting in Photoshop, but I guess the sceener was less impressed. I have to admit it was something of a grab shot many years ago. Note the neat shadow on the wall. Soon to disappear!

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=813498&key=0

shanedeemer 05-16-2010 07:21 PM

Everything considering, that's a pretty good shot.

And of all the rejects the screeners have at their disposal, I have no idea why they picked PEQ. They must have something against steam engines in the 1960s; probably because they we're not enough to remember them :-)

cblaz 05-16-2010 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shanedeemer (Post 114635)
And of all the rejects the screeners have at their disposal, I have no idea why they picked PEQ.

Except it was rejected for bad cropping.

John, do you have any more on the left? I wonder if you crop in a little on the right, leaving the shadow intact, and added to the left (if you have it) and resubmit with a note to the screeners explaining that you wanted to keep the shadow in the photo, if it would have better luck. I think it's the fact that the engine is dead center that's bothering them.

- Chris

JRMDC 05-16-2010 08:12 PM

My suggestion is the exact opposite, crop the sky and the left,

John West 05-16-2010 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cblaz (Post 114636)
John, do you have any more on the left? I wonder if you crop in a little on the right, leaving the shadow intact, and added to the left (if you have it) and resubmit with a note to the screeners explaining that you wanted to keep the shadow in the photo, if it would have better luck. I think it's the fact that the engine is dead center that's bothering them.

- Chris

The shot is pretty much cropped full frame from the slide. One of the problems with these old Anscochromes is they are so grainy (and my old Voigtlander not all that sharp) that if I crop very much they loose quality very quickly. In addition to the centered engine, my personal problem with the composition is that darn winch on the float crowding the front of the pilot, in my early days I seemed to have a problem with "foreground clutter" (which would have been my personal choice for a rejection reason). It was a spur of the moment submission because I was so pleased with what PS could do for the color.

milwman 05-16-2010 10:43 PM

I think some off the bottom and a little off the right will work.

mark woody 05-16-2010 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRMDC (Post 114638)
My suggestion is the exact opposite, crop the sky and the left,

Agreed,cropped and deseckled in pse7,then to corel paint shop pro ultimate x2 for noise reduction resize and sharpen 100/.01/0 usm.

mSummers 05-16-2010 11:51 PM

I agree with J and Mark. Crop it like that and resubmit with a note about the shadow.

John West 05-17-2010 12:08 AM

I do like the new crop.

troy12n 05-17-2010 12:50 AM

Sky is awful grainy

John West 05-17-2010 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by troy12n (Post 114651)
Sky is awful grainy

Troy, if you were 50 year old Anscochrome you'd be pretty grainy as well. You should have seen it before I ran it through Noise Ninja.

Arne H. B. 05-17-2010 02:42 AM

It seems RP will let old stuff through even if they have some image quality issues as long as it is interesting material. I know you have posted some stuff that is just outstanding, particularly the old SP stuff and I am glad you've shared it John. Troy probably didn't know how old this photo was when he made his comment. I'd try the new crop, looks like it should work.

John West 05-17-2010 03:38 AM

I redid the image using Mark's crop and ran it though Noise Ninja and I'm going to sit on the results overnight. My current feeling is the poor image quality trumps the things I like about the picture, the lighting and the overall atmosphere. The tighter crop just exacerbates the image quality problem. And the subject matter is not strong enough to overcome the shortcomings.
I'll revisit the image later on. Fortunately I have a lot more in the shoe box to play with.

JRMDC 05-17-2010 05:03 AM

Remember that you need not upload a 1000x size shot. You should consider doing a simple crop without further resizing, so the image will be no worse in image quality. I think the min is 800x600, although I vaguely recall that is from the guidelines which are probably hopelessly out of date so who knows if that lower limit is still valid.

I would also mention the shadow on the wall in the remarks; not everyone will spot that right off.

JRMDC 05-17-2010 05:04 AM

Duplicate post.

mark woody 05-17-2010 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRMDC (Post 114665)
Remember that you need not upload a 1000x size shot. You should consider doing a simple crop without further resizing, so the image will be no worse in image quality. I think the min is 800x600, although I vaguely recall that is from the guidelines which are probably hopelessly out of date so who knows if that lower limit is still valid.

I would also mention the shadow on the wall in the remarks; not everyone will spot that right off.

Recropped less savagely and only resized to 900x600.

JRMDC 05-17-2010 06:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I went tighter and so smaller, 849x625

mark woody 05-17-2010 06:40 AM

Once again you can't beat experience :lol::lol: I LIKE IT.You win :lol::lol:

John West 05-17-2010 09:35 PM

Thanks for the input, the suggested crops are an improvement. Resurrecting the color with PS was fun, but now I have spent way too much time looking at the image and my judgement is stale. I have put it on the back burner for a fresh look sometime in the future.

mark woody 05-19-2010 06:34 AM

Way to go John and well done on the crop.

[photoid=324767]

mark woody 05-20-2010 03:19 AM

Congrats on TO24 well done.