RailPictures.Net Forums

RailPictures.Net Forums (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/index.php)
-   Railroad Photography Forum (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Your comments please. (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/showthread.php?t=4075)

a231pacific 08-26-2006 05:08 PM

Your comments please.

I have a shot that I like, but it's a scenic and the train is quite small in the image. I've been wondering if I should upload the original, or a tighter crop. Your suggestions would be appreciated.

Michael Allen

PS How do you get attachments to display as images, not just as links?

LAHDPOP 08-26-2006 05:24 PM

I like it a lot. But then, if everything I liked made it past the screeners, I wouldn't have so much experience getting over rejection! :)
I'd say give it a shot. That sky and it's reflection is nice.

Andrew Blaszczyk (2) 08-26-2006 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by a231pacific
I have a shot that I like, but it's a scenic and the train is quite small in the image. I've been wondering if I should upload the original, or a tighter crop. Your suggestions would be appreciated.

Michael Allen

PS How do you get attachments to display as images, not just as links?

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Incredible shot(s), you got me stumped on this one. Each crop has its strong points. Personally, I don't mind the train being small especially in this case with such a strong reflection. They way you croppe dit close though made a very nice frame around the train which I am also a fan of. I think I'd upload the vertical with the trees included. Nice shot, again!

Mgoldman 08-26-2006 06:33 PM

Well, I think I'd go the other way, though it's a VERY close call.
I think the horizontal shot will be better recieved.
I see your affection for the mirrored tree in the veritcal but the effect of the "other" mirrored part of the image is lessened. On the horizontal, the mirrored tree gets lost, but the mirrored trackside trees and train are much
more pronounced. Also, there is a bit less open blue space, top and bottom.

/Mitch

Mgoldman 08-26-2006 06:38 PM

Nah... I like the vertical.
: P

It looks complete and not cut off.
So, just take the comments I made as observations.

See ya in the queue.

/Mitch

a231pacific 08-26-2006 07:57 PM

You guys are a lot of help! ;-)

I have the same problem, I think I like the vertical better, but the horizontal is perhaps the better train picture for RP. Maybe I'll toss a coin!

Thanks!

Michael

LAHDPOP 08-26-2006 08:11 PM

Oops. Forgot to give opinion as to which I liked better. Sorry.

I like the vertical, just because that sky is so nice.

Andrew Blaszczyk (2) 08-26-2006 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by a231pacific
You guys are a lot of help! ;-)

I have the same problem, I think I like the vertical better, but the horizontal is perhaps the better train picture for RP. Maybe I'll toss a coin!

Thanks!

Michael

For RP, yes. For other viewing purposes, no. That better :-P!

Chris Kilroy 08-26-2006 10:49 PM

For what it's worth, I like the horizontal (and I'm screening now ;)).

I would take either, but the horizontal is just my personal preference.

Joe the Photog 08-26-2006 10:54 PM

I just have to be the odd man out, because I think the horizontal version is the better picture. The train and the reflection are more pronounced and all in all, a better picture, in part because the train is the center of attention a little more. The only thing is there is a lot of lead room between the front of steamer and the left hand side of the pic.

So, in a word, I agree with Mitch, even if Mitch doesn't agree with Mitch!

Joe

Joe the Photog 08-26-2006 10:56 PM

For the record, I was formulating my reply while Mr. Kilroy was posting his comment. My butt kissing is never that obvious.

Joe

a231pacific 08-27-2006 12:16 AM

Thanks for the input everyone.

I was going to take Chris' advice, but in taking a good hard look at the 1024 X 683 resolution version led me to conclude that the original image just didn't have sufficient resolution to allow cropping from the original vertical slide to a horizontal. I've bought better (and longer) lenses since that shot was taken in 1994. An 80mm lens just wasn't enough for anything other than a full reflection vertical at that location.

I hope Chris likes the vertical enough to let it in!

Michael Allen

J. E. Landrum 08-27-2006 01:40 AM

I beat Chris to it. It's in :-) Good photo!

a231pacific 08-27-2006 02:39 AM

Wow, two screeners, no waiting! Thanks J.E.

Michael

NicTrain35 08-27-2006 06:38 AM

Hi Michael,

I'm glad to see that it was accepted. Great photo!

alan-crotty 08-27-2006 08:12 AM

Photos not links

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Michael.

Just look abit further down in the post a message dialogue.

Additional options.

Manage attchements.

Browse to the jpg on your hard drive.

Click upload.

Your done.

Keep Well

Alan

Switched out 08-27-2006 11:10 AM

Alan,

I think it's the way this forum is setup, as soon as you upload more then one image they get converted to links :-x

Might need to have words with the Admins, Hint hint :wink:

Cheers,

Christine

alan-crotty 08-27-2006 07:09 PM

Uploaded Images

Thanks Christine,

I didn't realise that, Ive only ever attached one pic at a time.

Alan

a231pacific 08-27-2006 07:17 PM

Hi Alan,

On which trip was that shot taken? All the sunrise shots of the 16E that I have are going the other way, with passenger carriages behind!

I'd not had problems with inserting one photo. My comment was edited in after I wound up with two links instead of two phots. It looks like Christine is right.

Cheers,

Michael

John West 08-27-2006 07:51 PM

I sure hope.....

...David Rogers runs another trip next spring. Looking at the pix Alan and Michael got in South Africa really gets my old blood flowing.

John West

alan-crotty 08-27-2006 10:43 PM

16Es

Michael and John,

The 16Es were taken during the Steam Circus in 1992. SAR ran a week of a good variety of steam on the Kimberly De Aar section on regular freight trains during the winter that year.

If you like top quality early morning and late evening light shots go on Dave's trip. Don't hold you breath for the 16Es though!

Alan