RailPictures.Net Forums

RailPictures.Net Forums (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic Forum (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Winter Solstice (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3023)

Ween 12-22-2005 07:08 PM

Winter Solstice

Yesterday was the shortest day of the year for those of us in the Northern Hemisphere, and that got me curious.

For grins, I looked up the amount of daylight (sunrise to sunset, not including dawn or dusk) in Grand Forks vs someplace farther south. Grand Forks had 8 hrs 22 minutes of daylight while St. Louis had 9 hrs 28 minutes, more than an hour's worth of difference!

I don't know, I find this stuff fascinating. But on the up side, the days only get longer from here on out...at least 'til June!

4kV 12-22-2005 07:12 PM

You said it. Although once April rolls around, those longer days don't help too much for photography. Still, it's nice to think we are heading into summer already, or something like that. It's a warm and sunny 51 degrees right now in Saint Louis, a great day for rail photography.

Ween 12-22-2005 07:19 PM

Believe it or not, it's a balmy 39 degrees here, but mostly cloudy...fitting weather for doing mind-numbing paperwork :-x

4kV 12-22-2005 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ween
Believe it or not, it's a balmy 39 degrees here, but mostly cloudy...fitting weather for doing mind-numbing paperwork :-x

39's warm for you anyway. I noticed that earlier. That's better than the subzero Siberian weather you usually have in the winter. That's way above normal for you, considering normal is somewhere around 0 and 16. Get out your swimming suit.

ccaranna 12-22-2005 07:58 PM

Quote:

But on the up side, the days only get longer from here on out...
Reason to celebrate! :)

cmherndon 12-22-2005 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ween
But on the up side, the days only get longer from here on out...

Funny you should say that since I mentioned it to my sister last night. She looked at me like I was an idiot...

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccaranna
Reason to celebrate! :)

Yes, this means it's just a little over two months before Spring Training starts. :D

Ween 12-22-2005 08:58 PM

One thing about winter though: the light you do get is really, really sweet. It's a little challenging dealing with the super long shadows, but when you get that sweet golden light, you can't beat it...

ccaranna 12-22-2005 10:32 PM

Quote:

One thing about winter though: the light you do get is really, really sweet.
Unless you live in Point Barrow, Alaska, where they're lucky to get any light at all this time of year!! :D

Correct me if I'm wrong, don't they go without any light during the winter solstice, and conversely, sun all day during the summer solstice?

Now that would be something to experience!

Ween 12-22-2005 10:37 PM

Quote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, don't they go without any light during the winter solstice, and conversely, sun all day during the summer solstice?
North of the Arctic Circle receives no light; Anchorage and Juneau are south of there, but still, they get far less light than North Dakota does this time of year...

Ru1056 12-22-2005 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmherndon
Funny you should say that since I mentioned it to my sister last night. She looked at me like I was an idiot...

Maybe she thought you meant from 24 hours to 30 hours. :D