RailPictures.Net Forums

RailPictures.Net Forums (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/index.php)
-   U.S. Class 1 Railroad Discussion (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Despite 9/11 Effect, Railyards Are Still Vulnerable (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3496)

dsktc 03-27-2006 08:58 AM

Despite 9/11 Effect, Railyards Are Still Vulnerable

From today's New York Times:

"NEWARK Two signs just inside the entrance of the Oak Island rail depot here hint at dangers inside. "Our Employees' Safety Is in Your Hands." one reads. "You Are Accountable for Your Safety," reads another.

"Beyond those two placards, however, there are few visible signs that security is a high priority at the railyard, just three miles from downtown Newark and seven miles from Manhattan, where 90-ton tanker cars full of deadly chemical gases are routinely stored and shipped.

"Gates to the depot are unlocked and unguarded, allowing unimpeded access to tracks where cars loaded with deadly chlorine, ammonia or oleum gases are stored.

"Along the track bed, many switching devices are unlocked, so unauthorized passers-by could redirect, and possibly derail, a train by simply pulling a lever. Security is so lax that a reporter and photographer recently spent 10 minutes driving along a rail bed beside cars holding toxic chemicals without being challenged, or even approached, by railroad employees. "

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/27/ny...27secure.html?

Dave

Ween 03-27-2006 01:18 PM

Quote:

"You Are Accountable for Your Safety"
My word...personal accountability is such a foriegn concept. Or maybe it's an odd concept in NY. Frickin' media...

John Fladung 04-05-2006 07:47 PM

What a bright idea! Let's write all this up for the newspaper! Sometimes the media should keep their mouth shut, you don't think people related to terror watch our news?

4kV 04-05-2006 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Fladung
you don't think people related to terror watch our news?

Maybe they watch when they are in the mood for some comic relief.

VirginiaSouthern 04-05-2006 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Fladung
What a bright idea! Let's write all this up for the newspaper! Sometimes the media should keep their mouth shut, you don't think people related to terror watch our news?

Trust me, terrorists really don't need the help from our media

fuente1 04-05-2006 09:37 PM

I would have loved for the railroad to show them how tresspassers and "persons of interest" are treated by law enforcement. "Media arrested doing story on Rail Security" would make a great headline.

VirginiaSouthern 04-05-2006 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuente1
I would have loved for the railroad to show them how tresspassers and "persons of interest" are treated by law enforcement. "Media arrested doing story on Rail Security" would make a great headline.

Now that I would frame!

fuente1 04-05-2006 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VirginiaSouthern
Now that I would frame!

You and me both! :lol:

busyEMT 04-06-2006 12:37 AM

Quote:

This is peanuts compared to news programs playing unadulterated and untranslated audio from terrorists. Who knows how many cryptic messages have been broadcast by American mass media when they play the newest tape!

John Fladung 04-06-2006 02:04 AM

Quote:

I just fail to see where pointing out flaws tends to help us and not help the terrorists... I realize that a lot of what our media covers is already known by such individuals (terrorists) but I don't think it's necessary to keep pointing such things out for us or them.

VirginiaSouthern 04-06-2006 02:52 AM

I'm not saying that it doesn't help them per se, but if a terrorist wants to hit a particular target, they'll get the information they need regardless of whether its in the media or not.

fuente1 04-06-2006 02:42 PM

Hey, some folks consider the media a "Terrorist Organization", so maybe they are in together ! :lol:

Frederick 04-06-2006 08:04 PM

Quote:

I'm not saying that it doesn't help them per se, but if a terrorist wants to hit a particular target, they'll get the information they need regardless of whether its in the media or not.

An attack like 9/11 takes years to plan. The American media is probably the last place they would look for info.

Contrary to popular belief, there are few terrorists from Iraq. Don't forget about the Irish Republican Army or that former terrorist school in Libya. Most of the hijackers [involved in 9/11] were from Saudi Arabia.

VirginiaSouthern 04-07-2006 03:30 AM

Preaching to the choir my friend.

dayres101 05-06-2006 11:09 PM

Lets face it, as long has we have a bunch of namby pamby bleeding hearts running this country we will never have good security. There was a county sherriff somewhere in Georgia a few years back that built some stockades to put criminals in. What he started doing with kids that got into trouble was putting them and their parents in those stockades for a whole weekend with a sign stating why they were there. What we need is people like that in charge of all our law enforcement, and military. Take our troops for example, I respect and support them, but we need to start over from scratch with our leaders. None of them can be trusted no matter which party they represent.

Okay, I'll get off the soap box now. :-D

WembYard 05-11-2006 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dayres101
There was a county sherriff somewhere in Georgia a few years back that built some stockades to put criminals in. What he started doing with kids that got into trouble was putting them and their parents in those stockades for a whole weekend with a sign stating why they were there.
:-D

If that happened in the UK the "victims" would start shouting about their "human rights".
BTW a nice new lock appeared on the gate leading to the marshalling yard where I work on Monday, by the time the night shift finished on Tuesday morning it had totally disappeared - so much for security.