RailPictures.Net Forums

RailPictures.Net Forums (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/index.php)
-   Railroad Photography Forum (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Should I bother fixing it? (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/showthread.php?t=8146)

LSRC Railfan 08-26-2008 01:24 PM

Should I bother fixing it?

Hello everyone,

I got a photo rejected this morning for horizon unlevel. Easily fixable. But should I bother fixing it or should I simply just get it go. I really go like this photo.

The Rejected Photo

Thanks,
Jim

DRGW5371 08-26-2008 01:27 PM

I would try to fix it. I love the photo, it has a great mood to it. Although I think it still might get dinged for underexposed during the next attempt. So maybe try to adjust the brightness a tad.

Neat shot though!

JRMDC 08-26-2008 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LSRC Railfan
Easily fixable. But should I bother fixing it or should I simply just get it go. I really go like this photo.

Is there something you are not telling us? Why are you considering letting it go, given what you have written?

LSRC Railfan 08-26-2008 02:36 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSRC Railfan
Easily fixable. But should I bother fixing it or should I simply just get it go. I really go like this photo.

Is there something you are not telling us? Why are you considering letting it go, given what you have written?
Wow! I was REALLY tired when I wrote this! I meant to say:

But should I bother fixing it or should I simply just let it go. I really like this photo... Sorry for the confusion. It's just one of those days! I'll try editing it again and lightening it up a tad more. Thanks guys!

-Jim

LSRC Railfan 08-26-2008 04:50 PM

I reprocessed it a little bit...got rejected for over-processed. I'll have to edit it again sometime with less use of the shadow/highlight tool. Thanks for your help.

-Jim

Rejected Again

DRGW5371 08-26-2008 05:46 PM

I like the edit, although I see where they get the overexposed from. Rework it and try it again!

WembYard 08-27-2008 07:02 AM

For a cold rainy morning, the photo is very light. It looks as though you have really given the shadow tool a bashing, to the extent that part of the sky is so blown out that the cables have become invisible.

If you shot the original as a RAW file, the detail in the sky should be there and be made to look suitably overcast with detail of all the cables. If shot as a jpeg, you might be struggling though, in either case, the end result might be a "cloudy day" rejection.

LSRC Railfan 08-28-2008 01:29 AM

Well it wasn't raining at that exact moment but yes, I did lighten the photo. The wires were gone in the original image...probably the sky was too bright behind them? Now that I have my XT I will probably start shooting raw. I just have to get used to it. This photo was taken as a JPEG on my Canon S2IS. I think I'll let it go as I can't get a decent edit that doesn't look over-processed.

-Jim