RailPictures.Net Forums

RailPictures.Net Forums (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/index.php)
-   Railroad Photography Forum (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Central of Georgia (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/showthread.php?t=17475)

Noct Foamer 05-11-2015 11:28 PM

Central of Georgia

Got a tip from a crewman that the NS's "Central of Georgia" is going to roll tonight. It will be within an hour of me, on an RCPE train. The crew said they'd put it on point for me, if I wanted. I will know exactly when it's scheduled, and that's likely about 11pm tonight. Odds are I won't get home until 2am though. I have to work tomorrow.

So, what do I do? I'm not really "into" the heritage units, and usually don't get excited about run-through power. The C of G is OK paint, not great. However...........the only night shot I've found of it is by Steve Barry. I know I can get a better one! :-D Decisions, decisions. It's doable, I have a couple of very nice spots, cooperative crew, but do I really want to stay out until 2am on a cold night (~28 degrees) to catch an engine I'm only luke warm about? I'm thinking about it.

Kent in SD

bigbassloyd 05-12-2015 12:07 AM

Cool story. Steve isn't the only one btw. :)

Loyd L.

Noct Foamer 05-12-2015 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbassloyd (Post 185004)
Cool story. Steve isn't the only one btw. :)

That would take all the fun out of it for me. :twisted:

Kent in SD

MassArt Images 05-12-2015 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noct Foamer (Post 185003)
Got a tip from a crewman that the NS's "Central of Georgia" is going to roll tonight. It will be within an hour of me, on an RCPE train. The crew said they'd put it on point for me, if I wanted. I will know exactly when it's scheduled, and that's likely about 11pm tonight. Odds are I won't get home until 2am though. I have to work tomorrow.

Kent in SD

If they will put it on the point for you then tell them where you want them to stop and pose for you too! If they can do that then I say go for it!!

NorthWest 05-12-2015 02:04 AM

I'd say to go for it. Catch something unusual when you can. I still regret not catching the NS, PRR and IRR units when they made it over here.

Noct Foamer 05-12-2015 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MassArt Images (Post 185006)
If they will put it on the point for you then tell them where you want them to stop and pose for you too! If they can do that then I say go for it!!

They can slow way down, but if they stop it "records" somewhere that they stopped. Don't really need a train to stop or slow--flash will freeze even a 70mph Amtrak train just fine.

Have not been texted back yet--the guys are still sleeping until called. If I go, this would turn into another of those middle of the night and work the next day deals. :-(

Kent in SD

Noct Foamer 05-12-2015 12:29 PM

As it turned out, I got a text from a buddy who said the connecting train from the west had trouble and would be late getting in. The C of G would not be leaving until just after dawn! So, there was no point in me going up there. RCPE is a very difficult line as things often don't turn out as they are thinking they will. I've been skunked chasing these trains more than all the other railroads combined.

Kent in SD