RailPictures.Net Forums

RailPictures.Net Forums (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/index.php)
-   U.S. Class 1 Railroad Discussion (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   UP Presidential Locomotive (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2625)

J 10-12-2005 01:24 PM

UP Presidential Locomotive

PR Newswire:

President George Bush 41 will be honored by Union Pacific with a custom- painted locomotive which will be revealed on the campus of Texas A&M University next Tuesday, Oct. 18, during an invitation-only ceremony featuring President Bush and Union Pacific Chairman and CEO Dick Davidson. Following the unveiling ceremony, President Bush will host a ticketed forum titled "Railroads: Building America," featuring Mr. Davidson at the Annenberg Presidential Conference Center next to the Bush Library.

dodi4200 10-12-2005 02:21 PM

so any informations about the type of the locomotive?

bnsf sammy 10-12-2005 02:25 PM

probably a gevo or a sd70ace

NicTrain35 10-12-2005 11:47 PM

SD70ACe. I'm anxious to see what this looks like. :)
[photoid=121581]

SD70MACMAN 10-13-2005 05:58 AM

Will this be another heritage loco or one for Bush? Perhaps a pretzel on the nose...

And if its for Bush or H.W. Bush, did they forget some other presidents to paint it for? I wouldnt mind seeing a George Washington or FDR unit 8)

dodi4200 10-13-2005 12:40 PM

i think that EMD SD70ACE will look more cool than the GEVO.
also i think that the paint will be normal like the normal paint of UNION PACIFIC.

J 10-13-2005 01:02 PM

Some Additional Information

UP honors Pres. George H.W. Bush with special EMD SD70ACe
COLLEGE STATION, Texas - President George H.W. Bush, the 41st president of the United States, will be honored by Union Pacific with a custom-painted locomotive to be unveiled on the campus of Texas A&M University on Tuesday, Oct. 18, during an invitation-only ceremony featuring President Bush and Union Pacific
Chairman and CEO Dick Davidson, the railroad said.
Following the unveiling ceremony, President Bush will host a ticketed forum titled "Railroads: Building America," featuring Mr. Davidson at the Annenberg Presidential Conference Center next to the George Bush Presidential Library and Museum. The custom-painted SD70ACe will power a special excursion train from College Station to Dallas and back Nov. 19-20. The President Bush unit is expected to be renumbered No. 4141. (UPís current SD70M 4141 will also be renumbered.)
The SD70ACe was one of four units delivered from EMD in primer. The first three became UP Heritage Units painted at Wisconsin & Southernís Horicon, Wis. shops into stylized Western Pacific, Missouri Pacific and Missouri-Kansas-Texas paint schemes. Three more Heritage Units are planned for sometime in 2006.

dodi4200 10-13-2005 01:10 PM

i hope that there will be RP.NET members there and can catch some pix there to show us this new SD70ACE unit with this nice number 4141.

Ween 10-13-2005 02:02 PM

Quote:

Perhaps a pretzel on the nose...
Nice shot at being clever, but that was current Bush who choked on the pretzel, not his father. Perhaps if you made a referrence to puking on a Japanese dignitary, then it would have been more appropriate for the correct president!

Ru1056 10-13-2005 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ween
Nice shot at being clever, but that was current Bush who choked on the pretzel, not his father. Perhaps if you made a referrence to puking on a Japanese dignitary, then it would have been more appropriate for the correct president!

Or cover it in broccoli. How about a loco for his VP Dan Quayle? With POTATOE painted on the side?

SD70MAC 10-13-2005 07:09 PM

That unit will be tagged the first month its around. What a waste of paint.

busyEMT 10-13-2005 08:53 PM

Maybe the UP could do a Jimmy Carter tie-in juxtaposing the system wide rail congestion with multiple block-long gasoline lines.

Too bad the BNSF already runs the Clinton commemorative unit; the ones with the cigar band. :shock:

BNSF_SD40-2B 10-13-2005 10:25 PM

It looks like the snow plow and the front part of the fuel tank is yellow.........what's up with that!!!!!!!

NicTrain35 10-13-2005 10:49 PM

I believe it's some sort of plastic to prevent any chips to the new paint while it is being transported.

SD70MACMAN 10-14-2005 04:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ween

Im well aware that Bush II choked on a pretzel and Bush I threw up. I was unclear on which president it was for since ive heard many accounts all over the web. So, I covered my bases with BOTH Bushes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by busyEMT
Too bad the BNSF already runs the Clinton commemorative unit; the ones with the cigar band. :shock:

:lol: Oh so many jokes...

canadianrailfan 10-16-2005 03:25 AM

in the first month, getting tagged? duh! :-D

E.M. Bell 10-16-2005 03:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by busyEMT

Now thats funny right there, I dont care who you are!

medic_pilot 10-17-2005 03:11 PM

A UP paint scheme honoring Bush? I think I'm going to vomit now...

I hope this thing visits the Portland area. I'll be waiting with my rattle can of spray paint.

Frederick 10-17-2005 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by medic_pilot

I hope this thing visits the Portland area. I'll be waiting with my rattle can of spray paint.

What did you expect? Big buisiness favors republicans, and UP gave a big chunk of money to the GOP.

fuente1 10-17-2005 11:53 PM

Would'nt expect anything less with an AFL-CIO member :shock: Tagging a freshly painted loco is really gonna change policy in DC :)

Joe the Photog 10-18-2005 01:23 AM

Does up have a #41 on its roster? That seems a bettr number for a loco honoring the 41st president than renumbering a SD70ACe into an SD70M number.

Joe

Wonka001 10-18-2005 07:29 PM

What time?

What time is this ceremony supposed to take place?

Frederick 10-18-2005 09:01 PM

It said tuesday. I'd assume that's today...

medic_pilot 10-20-2005 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuente1
Tagging a freshly painted loco is really gonna change policy in DC :)

No, you are probably right. I wouldn't expect a major shift in Washington...

But hey, my nausea is improving. :D

fuente1 10-20-2005 06:47 PM

Quote:

No, you are probably right. I wouldn't expect a major shift in Washington...

But hey, my nausea is improving. :D

hehehehe. Just ride it out till 2008! :shock: