RailPictures.Net Forums

RailPictures.Net Forums (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/index.php)
-   Railroad Photography Forum (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Night Photos standards? (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/showthread.php?t=17080)

Firefighter1019 05-10-2014 10:00 PM

Night Photos standards?
 
Hit with Bad color and Bad contrast. Kinda hard to get good color with Orange lighting.


http://www.railpictures.net/images/d...1399706382.jpg

troy12n 05-10-2014 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Firefighter1019 (Post 178542)
Hit with Bad color and Bad contrast. Kinda hard to get good color with Orange lighting.

100000% legit rejection... You can expect them to accept something like that. "Orange lights" is not an excuse.

Firefighter1019 05-10-2014 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by troy12n (Post 178543)
100000% legit rejection... You can expect them to accept something like that. "Orange lights" is not an excuse.


So in other words.. Find a new spot to photograph.

MagnumForce 05-10-2014 10:33 PM

You can always adjust the color but that ufo in your shot. Ugh, just not good.

Mberry 05-10-2014 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Firefighter1019 (Post 178544)
So in other words.. Find a new spot to photograph.

Yes, definitely.

Mgoldman 05-10-2014 11:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Firefighter1019 (Post 178544)
So in other words.. Find a new spot to photograph.

Some locations just do not work. This one, however, can. The color temperature is an easy fix. Either use a filter or adjust the color temperature later in your editing program. In this case - "Auto-color" did the trick.

Can't help you on the overexposure. You can reshoot it. If per chance you can not keep the lights from blowing out (though you likely can), you can do an HDR or layer using properly exposed selections between multiple images.

Attachment 8590

/Mitch

troy12n 05-11-2014 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mgoldman (Post 178548)
Some locations just do not work. This one, however, can. The color temperature is an easy fix. Either use a filter or adjust the color temperature later in your editing program. In this case - "Auto-color" did the trick.

Can't help you on the overexposure. You can reshoot it. If per chance you can not keep the lights from blowing out (though you likely can), you can do an HDR or layer using properly exposed selections between multiple images.

Attachment 8590

/Mitch

Yea, he can fix the color temperature and white balance, but at the end of the day his inclusion of the light source is bound to screw up the exposure (and it did in this case). The photo has many issues above and beyond color.

MagnumForce 05-11-2014 02:46 AM

Again, the UFO light, just ugh.

Joe the Photog 05-17-2014 02:48 AM

You should appeal on the account of "Orange Lighting" and see how far that gets you!

Firefighter1019 05-17-2014 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe the Photog (Post 178711)
You should appeal on the account of "Orange Lighting" and see how far that gets you!

Im not to worried about it. I tried playing with the color but the photo really isnt all that exciting anyway lol

Holloran Grade 05-17-2014 02:11 PM

You could shoot this scene at this spot if you were to zoom down on the subject to remove the light post and the big ball of glare on the right.

Also, you would need to shoot in RAW format and setting the WB on the camera at tungsten and then readjusting the white balance further on the computer during post processing.

Night shots are actually trickier than day shots and many times you will go back and reshoot places after you see the initial results.

bigbassloyd 05-19-2014 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holloran Grade (Post 178716)
..you would need to shoot in RAW format and setting the WB on the camera at tungsten..

Or just leave the wb on the auto setting because it doesn't matter when you're going to be editing a raw file..

Loyd L.

jac_murphy 05-19-2014 01:35 PM

I admittedly have very little experience editing photos shot under sodium-vapour lighting, but the few times I've done it with my little point-and-shoot and the WB set to "tungsten," it seems that the colours come out as an awful puke-yellow tone that's even harder to correct. Anybody else have feel this to be the case as well?

-Jacques

bigbassloyd 05-19-2014 02:09 PM

I usually go under the standard tungsten 3200k color temp and do a slight hue adjustement for sodium vapor lighting.

Loyd L.

Holloran Grade 05-19-2014 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbassloyd (Post 178740)
Or just leave the wb on the auto setting because it doesn't matter when you're going to be editing a raw file.

I can think of only one reply to this statement - duh.

(Rivet counting at it's finest.)

Not to be too much of an ass, but don't you think if he knew that, he would have corrected the original image?

At least with Tungsten it will look somewhat on the preview of his camera as to where he needs to be with the WB.

That was my only intent.;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbassloyd (Post 178743)
I usually go under the standard tungsten 3200k color temp and do a slight hue adjustement for sodium vapor lighting.


And you stand out in the field and do that?

See above reply.

Firefighter1019 05-19-2014 11:08 PM

I wont be going back there anytime to reshoot. Saturday there were 2 railfans run over and killed and another girl hit about 10 miles away from that spot. NS Police are in the area now.

JimThias 05-20-2014 02:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holloran Grade (Post 178751)
I can think of only one reply to this statement - duh.

(Rivet counting at it's finest.)

Not to be too much of an ass, but don't you think if he knew that, he would have corrected the original image?

But you're assuming he knows how to correct the original raw file. If he did, he wouldn't have asked for help here in the first place.

Maybe that's the part he's struggling with. DUH! ;)

Ron Flanary 05-20-2014 03:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Remember...I don't shoot in raw. The files are too, too large, and I don't place too much archival value in my digital shots.

As for the shot...I don't see a way to do anything with that blown out light tower. I messed around with the color just a little and did a recrop. That portion of the image looks pretty cool.


http://forums.railpictures.net/attac...1&d=1400555676

Holloran Grade 05-20-2014 03:49 AM

Another Rivet Counter......
 
I said a few posts up:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holloran Grade (Post 178716)
You could shoot this scene at this spot if you were to zoom down on the subject to remove the light post and the big ball of glare on the right.

Also, you would need to shoot in RAW format and setting the WB on the camera at tungsten and then readjusting the white balance further on the computer during post processing.

Night shots are actually trickier than day shots and many times you will go back and reshoot places after you see the initial results.


So how did I make this assumption?

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimThias (Post 178762)
But you're assuming he knows how to correct the original raw file.

I assume he knows nothing about adjusting WB, or else he would have done it originally.

JimThias 05-20-2014 03:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holloran Grade (Post 178767)
So how did I make this assumption?

You're reading into it way too much. :razz:

Holloran Grade 05-20-2014 03:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimThias (Post 178768)
You're reading into it way too much. :razz:

No, I'm feeling argumentative.:twisted:

Firefighter1019 05-21-2014 01:43 AM

I rarely shoot in raw format. Usually only when im doing astrophotography and star trail stuff to bring out the Nebula colors and such. I shoot way to many train pics for raw.

Ron, yeah I cropped and messed around with it and pretty much ended up with what you have done. I liked the look of the headlights but figured theyd still reject due to the orange lighting.

Holloran Grade 05-21-2014 04:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Firefighter1019 (Post 178791)
I shoot way to many train pics for raw.

Well, then you are stuck with what you got.

troy12n 05-21-2014 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Firefighter1019 (Post 178791)
I shoot way to many train pics for raw.


I dont understand this mindset... storage is cheap these days. You are purposely limiting your potential by not shooting raw

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Flanary (Post 178765)
Remember...I don't shoot in raw. The files are too, too large, and I don't place too much archival value in my digital shots.

That's surprising to me

Holloran Grade 05-22-2014 04:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Flanary (Post 178765)
Remember...I don't shoot in raw. The files are too, too large, and I don't place too much archival value in my digital shots.


You can fit a lot more RAW files in a shoe box than snap shots or slides.

Just saying....:lol:


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:27 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.