RailPictures.Net Forums

RailPictures.Net Forums (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/index.php)
-   U.S. Regional and Short Line Railroad Discussion (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Information about Trona Railway (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/showthread.php?t=17533)

Guido Beck - Argentina 09-09-2015 02:28 AM

Information about Trona Railway

Hello, I am writing from Argentina and I do to consult on the short line Trona Railway, in a few months I will travel to Las Vegas, Cajon Pass and Tehachapi area and touring RP file I find this railroad.

How many trains move per day???

I would like if someone has more information about it.

Thanks Guido Beck.

ShortlinesUSA 09-12-2015 04:19 PM

Hello, Guido.

While I have not visited the Trona, I have considered a trip there many times over the years and I keep a watch for information on their operations on the internet.

The operating pattern seems to be one train in the afternoon/early evening from Trona to Searles to interchange with the Union Pacific. The train may be seen at Trona during the early afternoon assembling its train and working the plant.

I do not know which days of the week the train works; it may be weekdays only. That is usually the safest bet with shortline railroads in the United States-- many work Monday through Friday only, and do not work weekends. Probably best to plan on visiting on a weekday afternoon if you can.

I hope others who have visited the Trona can help more. Enjoy your visit to the United States, and I wish you good luck with seeing lots of good trains while here.

Guido Beck - Argentina 09-13-2015 02:34 AM

Hi Mike ! thanks for those tips!

This trip is something I have been thinking long and it is time, as a boy I have a copy of TRAINS magazine with all the information of Tehachapi, precisely the January of '97!

This trip will dedicate an entire day (I know that is little) the Cajon Pass and nearby places because I'm with my family and let them in Las Vegas. Then go about Kingman / Needles / Barstow for the night in Tehachapi, the next day will leave for San Francisco.

Thanks to your information about the Trona Railway circulating in the week, I have planned to reach Tehachapi afternoon, so here me very well your information.

While on the trip will see new both UP and BNSF locomotives (70aceīs / AC44īs / etc ) I want to see the 40's & 40T2's; I've seen pictures of trains with 5/6 locs these and I was blown my brain away! Do You know where is located the enlistment of Trona deposit?

I take this opportunity to ask if there is way to San Francisco to see other short lines.

Thanks for all !

Guido.

jac_murphy 09-14-2015 12:06 AM

FWIW, "enlistment of Trona deposit" would be referring to the Trona's shops and engine terminal, which is referred to as the "deposito" in Argentina. A Google translate mishap. ;)

-Jacques

Guido Beck - Argentina 09-14-2015 01:51 AM

Yes! just in this frase I donīt use the Google translator ! My english is too bad ! sory !

ShortlinesUSA 09-14-2015 02:01 PM

You are welcome, Guido. Glad the information is helpful. To the best of my knowledge, Trona's engine terminal is located within the plant in Trona, and not accessible to the public.

Guido Beck - Argentina 09-14-2015 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShortlinesUSA (Post 185777)
You are welcome, Guido. Glad the information is helpful. To the best of my knowledge, Trona's engine terminal is located within the plant in Trona, and not accessible to the public.

Ok, I'll try to talk to see if there are chances of entering.

Trona runs between Trona and Searles only or goes further to Searles ? In searles connect with the UP ?

Probably between Mojave and Searles there will be UP movement ?

ShortlinesUSA 09-14-2015 11:40 PM

Yes, yes, and yes Guido.

Guido Beck - Argentina 09-16-2015 05:30 PM

Iīm receive this data from James Husband (last picture uploaded from Trona Railway)
Quote:

"They only run Monday through Friday (not Sat/Sun). They depart Trona in the morning and can usually be found at Searles by 11am. They switch there for a few hours and usually depart Searles around 2pm for the run back to Trona. So it’s one roundtrip per weekday"

ShortlinesUSA 09-19-2015 04:15 PM

Thank you for this updated information, Guido!

ShortlinesUSA 09-19-2015 05:28 PM

Hello again, Guido. I just ran across a very informative post on Trainorders.com which I believe you will find extremely helpful on the Trona:

http://www.trainorders.com/discussio...32#msg-3841332

User Cajon92 provides a very good explanation of a typical day on the Trona.

Guido Beck - Argentina 09-21-2015 01:29 AM

Hi Mike, thanks again for all the information you've given me, reading that report that you refer to me to see how I do as I travel with the family and are not closely related to railways.

Thanks again.

Guido.