RailPictures.Net Forums

RailPictures.Net Forums (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/index.php)
-   Railroad Photography Forum (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Should this make Jacksonville cringe? (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/showthread.php?t=16114)

Joe the Photog 01-30-2013 02:59 PM

Should this make Jacksonville cringe?

Any thoughts on the differences between the two eastern roads by this one shot?

[photoid=423016]

Of course, it is just shot one shot of one locomotive from each road, but it seems to say a lot about them at the same time. Or am I just reading too much into an official NS photograph?

WMHeilman 01-30-2013 04:01 PM

Uhhhh, yeah, give me that YN2 B40-8 over the heritage ooonit any day.

Ron Flanary 01-30-2013 04:08 PM

There's no one in the CSX management hierarchy who would give this a thought. They simply have no passion for the company's corporate history, and certainly no interest in "wasting" money on such a foolish program such as the NS heritage program.

In short...Jacksonville doesn't give a damn whatsoever!

Joe the Photog 01-30-2013 04:18 PM

I wasn't talking heritage units as much as putting your best foot forward. As a railfan, I may prefer the YN2 B40-8, but for a corporate image, the new, relatively clean motor on top with the shiny paint beats the beat up, crusty engine down below. Again, like I said, it's one engine from each railroad, but the differences are huge here.

MassArt Images 01-30-2013 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe the Photog (Post 163607)
Any thoughts on the differences between the two eastern roads by this one shot?

[photoid=423016]

Of course, it is just shot one shot of one locomotive from each road, but it seems to say a lot about them at the same time. Or am I just reading too much into an official NS photograph?

I think it was the railfan in Casey that made him take that shot. I wouldn't, and I didn't read anything "political" into that shot. Every time I see one of his shots I think he's a pretty lucky guy to be getting paid to do what we consider a hobby. I am sure though, that his job probably has its drawbacks too. We just don't see them on RP.net:-)

Ron Flanary 01-30-2013 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MassArt Images (Post 163617)
I think it was the railfan in Casey that made him take that not. I wouldn't, and I didn't read anything "political" into that shot. Every time I see one of his shots I think he's a pretty lucky guy to be getting paid to do what we consider a hobby. I am sure though, that his job probably has its drawbacks too. We just don't see them on RP.net:-)

Knowing Casey fairly well...I can tell you it was purely a "railfan" shot. Any of us would have loved to have framed that one and tripped the shutter.

Also, Casey's job isn't necessarily all that and a bag of chips. It has some major downsides, just like any job. However, he does enjoy what he's doing (he was an NS engineer before this opportunity came along).

If you're interested, Casey is one of the presenters at the "Conversations" annual conference for the Center for Railroad Photography and Art in Lake Forest this April. I'm sure he'll make a great presentation---and enthrall the audience with his charming Southern drawl. :) I hope to be there.

PLEzero 01-30-2013 06:00 PM

Forget the power... how about that track!

Holloran Grade 01-30-2013 06:34 PM

Huh?

This must be a Midwest/East Coast thing, because I see no meaning in the photo, actual or implied.

Seems weird though that NS is promoting the competitor, but perhaps they are "partners" such as BNSF's "through service" to the East Coast via interchange with NS.

Been awhile since we saw any NS power in LA.:-P

JimThias 01-30-2013 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe the Photog (Post 163614)
As a railfan, I may prefer the YN2 B40-8...

No thanks. Either paint it in YN3 or scrap it.

jnohallman 01-30-2013 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Flanary (Post 163612)
They simply have no passion for the company's corporate history, and certainly no interest in "wasting" money on such a foolish program such as the NS heritage program.

You've got it all wrong! YN3 is the CSX Heritage paint scheme. :twisted:

[photoid=413307]
[photoid=422844]

See? :lol:

Jon

nikos1 01-30-2013 11:05 PM

Yes, its the lets find the most abysmally boring austerity scheme from our heritage and use it to show we are a progressive new company. :roll:
[photoid=348360]

YN2 was closer to the bright C&O and Pere Marquette passenger scheme
[photoid=409041]

JimThias 01-31-2013 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikos1 (Post 163632)

YN2 was closer to the bright C&O and Pere Marquette passenger scheme
[photoid=409041]

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that looks nothing like the garbage YN2.

JRMDC 01-31-2013 01:55 AM

The C&O unit that Jon linked to has YN2-ish yellow and a YN2-ish diagonal, so his point would have been funnier had he not linked to a current YN3.

Holloran Grade 01-31-2013 02:03 AM

Hey, they got lightening bolts on the cabs.

CSX rocks!

Ok, can I have my dollar now?

Mr. Pick 01-31-2013 03:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimThias (Post 163630)
No thanks. Either paint it in YN3 or scrap it.

Got to respectfully disagree with you on this one Jim. I much prefer to see a YN2 come around the bend and into view. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I reckon.

JimThias 01-31-2013 03:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Pick (Post 163642)
Got to respectfully disagree with you on this one Jim. I much prefer to see a YN2 come around the bend and into view. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I reckon.

Yep, it definitely is. It's not so much the scheme I dislike, but rather their choice of colors. I just loathe the light blue on the YN2, not to mention the really blah yellow. :smile: If they used the same colors as the C&O unit pictured above, then that would be pretty bad ass.

bigbassloyd 01-31-2013 03:55 AM

I shoot CSX nearly every day, and I couldn't care less what color scheme shows up. :)

Loyd L.

WMHeilman 01-31-2013 04:08 AM

So, Jim hates code line AND YN2 painted engines? Jim, I don't think I can be your friend anymore.

nikos1 01-31-2013 05:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimThias (Post 163643)
Yep, it definitely is. It's not so much the scheme I dislike, but rather their choice of colors. I just loathe the light blue on the YN2, not to mention the really blah yellow. :smile: If they used the same colors as the C&O unit pictured above, then that would be pretty bad ass.

Other than the grey the colors are pretty similar, the YN2 yellow is way better than the awful mustard yellow on YN3. Not sure what light blue you are referring too unless its a peeling and faded unit. YN3 looks good the first few weeks out of the paint shop, alot of YN2 units still look presentable after 15 years.

Also
[photoid=414356] > YN3

Watain 01-31-2013 06:00 AM

YN2, YN3, who cares? As long as its not a blah plain black and white NS engine. Granted I like shooting NS, but I prefer CSX for the colors.

bigbassloyd 01-31-2013 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WMHeilman (Post 163650)
So, Jim hates code line AND YN2 painted engines? Jim, I don't think I can be your friend anymore.

Jim hates code line?

I'm resigning from the leveling commitee.

Loyd L.

jnohallman 01-31-2013 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Watain (Post 163653)
As long as its not a blah plain black and white NS engine.

The thing is, the folks at NS think they're still running a steam railroad. I have a friend who swears that black is the only acceptable color for a steam engine . . .

Jon

WMHeilman 01-31-2013 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbassloyd (Post 163660)
Jim hates code line?

Loyd L.

Yes, Jim hates code line.

JimThias 02-01-2013 01:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WMHeilman (Post 163650)

:lol: :-P

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikos1 (Post 163652)
YN3 looks good the first few weeks out of the paint shop, alot of YN2 units still look presentable after 15 years.

I've never seen a YN2 unit looking presentable after 15 years. They all look like crap.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Watain (Post 163653)
YN2, YN3, who cares? As long as its not a blah plain black and white NS engine.

Amen, brother! :lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbassloyd (Post 163660)
Jim hates code line?

Loyd L.

Code line is landscape clutter. I've been looking at it and shooting around it long enough. I'm over it.

CSX1702 02-02-2013 08:44 PM

Well if you were to read into it, CSX has absolutely no reason to please railfans.

As for the paint schemes, I like them all as long as they're running together. When they're not, then it looks a little weird. Lol.