RailPictures.Net Forums

RailPictures.Net Forums (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/index.php)
-   Railroad Photography Forum (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Bad Angle? (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/showthread.php?t=6434)

Bryan Oliver 01-04-2008 01:53 AM

Bad Angle?

I got this one rejected for bad angle -

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...key=1230248486

Comments please?

Walter S 01-04-2008 02:02 AM

It also looks to have jaggies, what resolution was it saved at? For the angle well I would have shot the locomotive a little sooner, also the dumpster is distracting.

alstom 01-04-2008 03:33 AM

Maybe it is just me, but this photo looks a tad oversharpened.

randy 01-04-2008 03:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walter S
It also looks to have jaggies, what resolution was it saved at? For the angle well I would have shot the locomotive a little sooner, also the dumpster is distracting.

I agree with Walter. Moving down the tracks to the left might have excluded the dumpster. Of course we don't know what else would have been exposed.

Watching for dumpster-type details has been one of my downfalls. When a zillion tons of train are blowing by it's easy to overlook the background. (Reminds me of draining swamps and alligators! :lol: )

Joe the Photog 01-04-2008 03:55 AM

I'm a little surprised it got Bad Angle. I guess it's the generic power (at least I think GEVOs are a dime a dozen) where the train takes up most of the frame. I could see it getting in, but I also think the shot is leaning just a little to the left judging from the power poles to the right of the train and the train itself, which could be on a bank.

Someone else mentined the jaggies and I'll have to with hold comment on that with this monitor. Do you have another exposure of this one with a looser crop and the train in front of the dumpster?

Joe

JRMDC 01-04-2008 03:57 AM

There is some sort of vegetation on the pilot, but the angle is bad for getting a good view of it, more head on would have been better.

Otherwise, looks like the shot is going for foreground flowers, but doesn't succeed. Agree with Walter. The way the shot looks, it is basically a 3/4 wedge roster shot, but with distracting surroundings.

JRMDC 01-04-2008 04:02 AM

Forgot to mention - outside of curve shots when shot at track level, one desirable thing is to catch the train much earlier so that the power is not blocking the trailing cars so one gets the entire train. Note how even the second unit here is greatly de-emphasized by being curved away, giving it a strong feel of roster shot.

The following is not the greatest example (a perusal of my shots has just revealed that I don't take many mid-curve shots!) but you can see the cars trailing.

[photoid=176685]

JRMDC 01-04-2008 04:07 AM

Here's one I just grabbed from the database. The engine could have come around the curve further and one would see some of the side.

[photoid=217581]

Chicago Railfan 01-04-2008 05:33 AM

I think they just hit the wrong button. I say it is over sharpened. How did the plants get on the grill of the train?

WembYard 01-04-2008 08:17 AM

Janusz is correct, you need to show more of the train. The only thing you can see is the two locos, which more or less turns it into a roster shot.

I am no expert on US locos but I would imagine these are pretty common so the angle etc. would have to be perfect. Also agree with alsthom in that it does look oversharpened as well.

JimThias 01-04-2008 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRMDC
Forgot to mention - outside of curve shots when shot at track level, one desirable thing is to catch the train much earlier so that the power is not blocking the trailing cars so one gets the entire train.

True, but sometimes they do work:

[photoid=184511]

I think if you're going to go for that angle, you need to get a little different angle on the curve to include more of the train back of it. I WOULD have gotten a shot earlier with the train in the background on the right as you suggest, but there is an ugly utility tower on the inside of the curve that I was able to hide behind the train by getting low enough.

JRMDC 01-04-2008 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimThias
I think if you're going to go for that angle, you need to get a little different angle on the curve to include more of the train back of it.

Exactly.....

Bryan Oliver 01-04-2008 08:35 PM

Thanks for all the comments. I see what you mean now. I don't have any other decent shots of that train. I'll have to go back to the same location and try it again sometime. The picture is a bit oversharpened. I used to get a lot of rejects for undersharpened. So anymore I've been a bit excessive with the sharpening. Thanks again.

JRMDC 01-05-2008 11:12 PM

Reviving an old thread (not TOO old) but I just spotted a nice outside of the curve shot and wanted to share

[photoid=217752]

Ween 01-05-2008 11:14 PM

Dang, J...I thought you would've used this one from yesterday!

[photoid=217813]

JRMDC 01-05-2008 11:27 PM

Grand Forks railroading, so, so, so...

YAWN!!!!!!!!!

Just kidding, nice shot, didn't see it. :grin:

JimThias 01-06-2008 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ween
Dang, J...I thought you would've used this one from yesterday!

[photoid=217813]

Nice one, Chris!

And then there's always this one...

[photoid=213762]

:D