RailPictures.Net Forums

RailPictures.Net Forums (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/index.php)
-   Railroad Photography Forum (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   No advice needed, just need to bitch (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/showthread.php?t=16902)

Mberry 02-02-2014 07:18 PM

No advice needed, just need to bitch
 
It sure seems hard to get a detail shot onto rp, usually when I do I get PEQed right off the bat. Had some hope on this one because on the first try I got underexposed and also because I got a builders plate shot on recently. Resubmitted today and NOW a PEQ. Very frustrating.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...02&key=2491446

[photoid=465934]

Mgoldman 02-02-2014 07:45 PM

Hopefully, it's the rejection reason given that is frustrating...

Seems to me, Bad Angle might be more appropriate.

Why not compose 90 degrees parallel to the camera as your first example?

/Mitch

Mberry 02-02-2014 07:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mgoldman (Post 174891)
Hopefully, it's the rejection reason given that is frustrating...

Seems to me, Bad Angle might be more appropriate.

Why not compose 90 degrees parallel to the camera as your first example?

/Mitch

It's the killer rejection on the second try that is frustrating.

I do have a shot parallel to the camera which I considered submitting instead but it doesn't look as good as the submitted angle.

Mgoldman 02-02-2014 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mberry (Post 174893)
It's the killer rejection on the second try that is frustrating.

I do have a shot parallel to the camera which I considered submitting instead but it doesn't look as good as the submitted angle.

I don't so much mind back to back rejections that are unique. I can see where one issue is instantly most apparent and checked without further review.

While I'd probably let your image in on appeal, I may have initially rejected for poor angle. Your example at 90 degrees parallel is not as appealing. The angle is "better" and more RP appropriate, but missing what makes the rejected shot so interesting: better light, easier to read and better detail all around, especially in the blacks. Looks like you cleaned it up a bit - no black on the top right, for instance.

/Mitch

Mberry 02-02-2014 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mgoldman (Post 174894)
I don't so much mind back to back rejections that are unique. I can see where one issue is instantly most apparent and checked without further review.

While I'd probably let your image in on appeal, I may have initially rejected for poor angle. Your example at 90 degrees parallel is not as appealing. The angle is "better" and more RP appropriate, but missing what makes the rejected shot so interesting: better light, easier to read and better detail all around, especially in the blacks. Looks like you cleaned it up a bit - no black on the top right, for instance.

/Mitch

Cleaned it up in photoshop or some other program you mean? Nope, wouldn't know how to do that..... I do my processing in Iphoto and my skills are not that advanced.

Mgoldman 02-02-2014 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mberry (Post 174903)
Cleaned it up in photoshop or some other program you mean? Nope, wouldn't know how to do that.....

No, I meant, literally, lol - note the top left rivet. In your rejected shot, the rivet is covered in paint or tar whereas the un-submitted shot shows a shiny clean rivet. The covered rivet adds a little character /detail, in line with the rest of the detail in the rejected but "going away" view of the submitted shot.

/Mitch

Mberry 02-02-2014 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mgoldman (Post 174909)
No, I meant, literally, lol - note the top left rivet. In your rejected shot, the rivet is covered in paint or tar whereas the un-submitted shot shows a shiny clean rivet. The covered rivet adds a little character /detail, in line with the rest of the detail in the rejected but "going away" view of the submitted shot.

/Mitch

lol - no, I didn't physically clean it either.... I do see a big difference, not sure what the deal is!

Mgoldman 02-02-2014 09:47 PM

----------------------------------------------

Mberry 02-02-2014 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mgoldman (Post 174911)
No big deal at all - just adds a little more character. Again, overall, the rejected though possibly poor angle shot seems to have much more detail and /or better light. For one thing, it's fully legible with details better exposed.

/Mitch

Yes, that's why I took the chance of submitting that one, even though it's not an ideal angle for a stationary object such as a builders plate.


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:46 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.