RailPictures.Net Forums

RailPictures.Net Forums (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/index.php)
-   Railroad Photography Forum (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Wow.............. (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/showthread.php?t=16847)

Holloran Grade 01-05-2014 09:32 AM

Wow..............I am Stunned.

Yes, my friends, what I suspected would happen, has happened.

The tail now seeks to lead the horse.

PEQ it if you must, but please don't tell me how an image is going to look, or what is going to be in it.:shock:

Notice: This rejected photo will be deleted completely 7 days after its initial rejection, but may be linked to other
websites/forums during the 7 day period during which the link is active.

Reason(s) for Rejection:

- Bad Color: Not enough color depth or too much color saturation.
- Bad Contrast: The image suffers from either too much or too little contrast.

Comments from Screener:

"There is no reason for this to be in black and white."

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5507/1...5b56c9fa_z.jpg
Debris at Bagdad - [2013 Winter Solstice +1 Series] by El Roco Photography, on Flickr

GBR 01-05-2014 01:28 PM

I think it wasn't a reason for rejection, just an advice.

JimThias 01-05-2014 01:50 PM

So, why is it in black and white and why does it look like you sprayed the entire scene with oil?

cblaz 01-05-2014 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimThias (Post 173914)
So, why is it in black and white and why does it look like you sprayed the entire scene with oil?

Agreed. If anything, it should have been rejected for the horrible post-processing job, from the halos around the train to the oversharpening of everything in the frame.

- Chris

WMHeilman 01-05-2014 03:59 PM

You made a photo look nuclear and it isn't even in color... That's an accomplishment in itself.

That being said, it's a legit rejection reason considering it looks absolutely awful.

JRMDC 01-05-2014 05:42 PM

I'm impressed you got a comment from a screener!

Freericks 01-05-2014 06:04 PM

Looks like you worked on it too long and lost your way (I'm sorry to say). It is very unpleasing to the eye.

troy12n 01-05-2014 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRMDC (Post 173917)
I'm impressed you got a comment from a screener!

The only time I ever got a comment from a screener was one of the 4 or 5 time I have ever appealed a shot and they rejected the appeal. The comment made sense and was appropriate. I am pretty sure I have never got a comment on a normal rejection.

troy12n 01-05-2014 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freericks (Post 173918)
Looks like you worked on it too long and lost your way (I'm sorry to say). It is very unpleasing to the eye.

You mean the California desert really does not look like that?

wds 01-05-2014 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by troy12n (Post 173920)
You mean the California desert really does not look like that?

Well, almost... just with a heavy dose of sepia! :twisted:

Dennis A. Livesey 01-05-2014 07:58 PM

I like it a lot as a composition and that it is in B&W, except I would agree the processing is awful.

Dennis A. Livesey 01-05-2014 08:00 PM

I did get this screener comment on my latest reject:

"I don't think you're going to be able to get this one up to an acceptable level of quality."

Hatchetman 01-05-2014 08:31 PM

RE: OP
B&W certainly seems appropriate for the subject. At least you got a note. All my B&W got rejected for Bad Color. Stupid.

Anyway pull way way back on the sharpening tool to make it look more "normal."

Ween 01-06-2014 01:22 AM

It looks like a B&W HDR gone horribly wrong...

JimThias 01-06-2014 01:39 AM

I don't think Billy Bob was expecting this level of criticism for his rejection. :lol:

Joe the Photog 01-06-2014 01:52 AM

We have to try harder to make his sig line.

coborn35 01-06-2014 03:18 AM

I think you are all are missing the point here. Yes the processing job is blah but why would a screener tell him it shouldn't be in black and white?! Should any shot taken by a digital camera be in black and white? Who is to decide... the slippery slope here is screeners telling people what their photos should look like. Thats how I interpret it anyway.

WMHeilman 01-06-2014 03:23 AM

Max, I got that point originally. I just disregarded it so I could tell HG how shitty the processing job was because I am an Ohio mouth breather.

CSX1702 01-06-2014 03:36 AM

I think he gets it now guys. :lol:

http://img.pandawhale.com/88611-beat...uth-P-ZqEc.gif

WMHeilman 01-06-2014 05:12 AM

You get what you give.

Freericks 01-06-2014 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WMHeilman (Post 173949)
Max, I got that point originally. I just disregarded it so I could tell HG how shitty the processing job was because I am an Ohio mouth breather.

Um, when I said Troy and HG were the same person, I was actually joking.

MagnumForce 01-06-2014 07:39 AM

Pretty sure he knew that already

Holloran Grade 01-06-2014 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coborn35 (Post 173948)
I think you are all are missing the point here. Yes the processing job is blah but why would a screener tell him it shouldn't be in black and white?

Max, you're so dam smart, I always wonder why you are wasting your brain playing choo choo.

Ya'all should pay attention to Max, he with the exception of Dennis is the only person who had any clue what my beef is about.:wink:

So what about this one?

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5507/1...4a73d3ab_z.jpg
Debris at Bagdad - [2013 Winter Solstice +1 Series] by El Roco Photography, on Flickr

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimThias (Post 173937)
I don't think Billy Bob was expecting this level of criticism for his rejection. :lol:

On the contrary, if I had a thin skin, I would just be like all the other mouth breathers and start my own Facebook group to elevate my embarrassment and manifest frustration.

Quote:

Originally Posted by WMHeilman (Post 173949)

Your candor is appreciated, but irrelevant since you are a mouth breather from one of those flyover places.:-P

JimThias 01-06-2014 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holloran Grade (Post 173956)
So what about this one?

Horrible. Just another example of why it shouldn't be in black & white. :lol:

How about posting the color version so we can see why you keep ruining it.

KevinM 01-06-2014 02:43 PM

Processing issues are processing issues. If the color or contrast was overcooked, the Screener should certainly reject the photo for those reasons. A couple of words addressing the specifics of the problem would, I think, be appreciated by almost any of us.

In this case however, HG's decision to render the image in B&W is an artistic one, not a technical problem with the photo. Where in the submission guidelines does it say: "Grayscale images will be accepted only when the Screener determines that it is appropriate for the subject matter?" I'm inclined to agree with him. That's a bit of a shocker.
:shock: