RailPictures.Net Forums

RailPictures.Net Forums (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/index.php)
-   U.S. Class 1 Railroad Discussion (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   What time do they go by. (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/showthread.php?t=17417)

musson 03-12-2015 04:17 PM

What time do they go by.

I want to photograph some Norfolk Southern freight trains. How do I figure out when they will go by my location (Hillsborough NC)?

Thanks!

JimThias 03-12-2015 04:45 PM

Tomorrow at 8:35 am. Go out to the tracks and take a look.

musson 03-12-2015 05:10 PM

Ok thanks!

So how did you find that info? Is there a timetable somewhere?

bigbassloyd 03-12-2015 07:42 PM

Not very many NS trains on the railroad you live along. I think you may see 2 locals per day along with 1-2 other misc through freights. amtrak and NCdot would be your best options, as they have published schedules. The NS freights do not.

Loyd L.

Decapod401 03-13-2015 07:49 PM

I worked in Hillsborough from 2007 - 2009, and our conference room had a window that overlooked the tracks. At that time, there was usually an eastbound between 1 and 2 in the afternoon, but that was 5 years ago, and traffic patterns can change.

I really can't think of any worthwhile locations to photograph in Hillsborough, as the line is tight with lots of trees. My suggestion is to go 45 minutes west to Greensboro and look for locations along the former Southern main line. You will see quite a few more trains there. If you want to stay on the line through Hillsborough go from Mebane west or Durham east for better locations.

Doug L.

CSX1702 03-28-2015 08:56 AM

They usually go by when you're asleep and there's generally a lull when you're trying to photograph. At least for me anyways. ;)

oltmannd 04-27-2015 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by musson (Post 184179)
I want to photograph some Norfolk Southern freight trains. How do I figure out when they will go by my location (Hillsborough NC)?

Thanks!

There are a pair of road trains 349/350, 351/352. All typically run through your area in the evening. 349 and 350 run daily. The other pair, four days a week. Additionally, there is local, P07 that runs midday. There are also occasional unit trains - a few a week that run randomly.

Then, there are the three pair of Amtrak trains.

oltmannd 04-27-2015 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Decapod401 (Post 184204)
I worked in Hillsborough from 2007 - 2009, and our conference room had a window that overlooked the tracks. At that time, there was usually an eastbound between 1 and 2 in the afternoon, but that was 5 years ago, and traffic patterns can change.

I really can't think of any worthwhile locations to photograph in Hillsborough, as the line is tight with lots of trees. My suggestion is to go 45 minutes west to Greensboro and look for locations along the former Southern main line. You will see quite a few more trains there. If you want to stay on the line through Hillsborough go from Mebane west or Durham east for better locations.

Doug L.

+1 for Greensboro!